Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVK Lands Sparse Memory Support - Enabling More Games To Run On This Open-Source Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVK Lands Sparse Memory Support - Enabling More Games To Run On This Open-Source Driver

Phoronix: NVK Lands Sparse Memory Support - Enabling More Games To Run On This Open-Source Driver

Mesa's NVK Vulkan driver for open-source NVIDIA support has merged sparse memory support. This is a big milestone as it's needed for running a number of newer games under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is so awesome, only merge request I am waiting for is https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/24795 as it was required to run Hyprland (which uses gles2), then I am planning to switch fully to NVK as Firefox is less laggy in NVK and I don't game that much

Comment

NVK is about to surpass ANV driver . It took 2 fucking years for intel to make their half baked subpar implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
        NVK is about to surpass ANV driver . It took 2 fucking years for intel to make their half baked subpar implementation.
        Not only that, another thing that makes me lose confidence in Intel is how often they split their driver codebases at a point when the older hardware is only a few years old. Compared to that, on AMD side all the latest drivers (AMDGPU kernel driver + RadeonSi and RADV Mesa drivers) support all the hardware from GCN 1.0 (from late 2011!) all the way up to the latest RDNA 3.0.

Comment

Yes, but to me it looks like the reason is probably that nvidia has just hardware that's much nicer to work with than intel, after all the main nvk developer also worked for intel on anv for many years prior.

Comment

Its probably worth keeping in mind that unlike ANV, NVK is a brand new techstack, I believe they claimed it was new from the ground up a while ago. This means they are starting from a clean slate, with everything the devs learned working on various other drivers, No need to work around super old bugs or design decisions from I think it's nearly a decade ago now. I think that is worth at least some consideration. OFC I wouldnt be surprised if DG2 is also just an out right pain to develop for, Arc ofc is still a new card, and growing pains are for sure to be expected there too.

Comment

It definitely is a from the ground up implementation. And because of the fact that the Nouveau stack was so far behind do to the lack of reclocking, a lack of users and the binary driver, allows breaking things and makes it a great place to start for really thinking about how best to approach implementing it in such a way that can create reusable components for other drivers. Few "I need this done now" users like you'd need for say a SOC gpu driver for instance.

Comment

Before claiming it’s surpassing anything, I want to see figures!
                Last time we saw a benchmark, it was running at barely 5 percent of the perfs from blob driver.
                If this driver technically works fine but transform my rtx4080 into a gtx860, it is worthless.
                Let’s give them faith for sure, but let’s give ourself some more expectations regarding the results before claiming this is the new shit.

Comment

Intel does not have Faith (Ekstrand) . NVK has a 2 year history, but I think it's fair to say that it really took off once Faith started working on it in July 2023 (not sure who hired Collabora, I'd guess Valve ).

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Before claiming it’s surpassing anything, I want to see figures!
                    Last time we saw a benchmark, it was running at barely 5 percent of the perfs from blob driver.
                    If this driver technically works fine but transform my rtx4080 into a gtx860, it is worthless.
                    Let’s give them faith for sure, but let’s give ourself some more expectations regarding the results before claiming this is the new shit.
                    The clocks work now. NVK was still lacking some extensions the last time I tried it so it was really hard to test several weeks ago as many games are needing D12 needing said extensions. OpenGL using the classic driver was like 60% if I recall correctly. I didn't manage to get zink working at the time, but it should perform much better when using it.

Comment

Working...
                    X