Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Supporting HDMI 2.1 Won't Hopefully Be Too Challenging Thanks To NVIDIA Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing firmware blob is a bad idea. HDMI forum is complete trash.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

And yet, it's the closed solution that's prevalent across the vast majority of device. We're hosed.

While I'd love to see this change, I'd love to see new computers void of Windows when you buy them as well.... so, unlikely.
      from mobile phone (tablet, or the like) market there's MHL connector (and protocol? based on Transition Minimalized Data Signaling (TMDS) pairs, like in HDMI and DVI, combined MHL/HDMI protocol(?) ) that was some (time) interest for getting market shares on multimedia linking from devices to 'MHL-qualified sink' (MHL HDMI hdtv/monitor/projector) and hosts (computers, only 'superMHL' being bidirectional). First MHL version(s?, 'uncompressed HD video up to 720p/1080i 60 Hz') have 5-pin micro-USB connectors up to now 'superMHL' 32pin 8k capable connections (MHL 2.0 11-pin, USB-C 24pin (Alternate Mode for USB 3.1), specifications are backward compatible - connector obviously not, see a superMHL connector: https://www.mhltech.org/docs/superMHL_WhitePaper.pdf#page=7 ). Thought for being an replacement/alternative to HDMI (connector) with ability for CEC remote (sub-)device control, also.

While HDMI uses pixel clock signal and digital video stream embedded HSYNC, VSYNC symbols ( https://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uplo...ort.pdf#page=9 ), DP is explained with 'data packet utilization is similar to communication standards such Ethernet, PCI Express, USB, SATA​'.
      ( HDMI protocol analysis, e.g. https://www.prodigytechno.com/hdmi-protocol )
      Last edited by back2未來; 05 March 2024, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brittle2 View Post

isn't displayport also proprietary?
        No, it's not. I may be wrong, but I think you have to be a member of VESA to use the branding though.

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post

As I understand, it's a MAFIAA thing. Traffic between say DVD-player and TV-set is encrypted, apparently you can't put some recorder in the middle. Try to put DP on TV-set, get in trouble with MAFIAA. People pirate anyway, MAFIAA doesn't get it. TV-manufacturers sell the things anyway, 99% of people don't complain.
          As we learned above, DP also supports HDCP. So that can't be the reason.

Comment

Fuck nvidia and hdmi.

Comment

I still believe that the solution is to write tons of emails to LG/Samsung to put some DP ports on the TVs.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                I still believe that the solution is to write tons of emails to LG/Samsung to put some DP ports on the TVs.
                I wish you all the fun talking to the spam filter.

Comment

The HDMI Forum:

Ah, Nvidia, Go right in sir

AMD: Hold on just a minuet you! ... You didn't forget to pay your club fees did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                    I wish you all the fun talking to the spam filter.
                    I can't deny it'd be nice to have more options on TVs.
                    Not really related but funnily enough I actually had something of the opposite problem a while back. Was setting up some PCs with older monitors at work. I had HDMI cables, the PCs had HDMI outputs, but none of the monitors had HDMI inputs. They did have DP inputs, but I had no DP cables and only some of the PCs had DP out.

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    The HDMI Forum:

Ah, Nvidia, Go right in sir

AMD: Hold on just a minuet you! ... You didn't forget to pay your club fees did you?
                    ​Not even remotely the situation here...

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                      As we learned above, DP also supports HDCP. So that can't be the reason.
                      Look into royalties and fees.

The HDMI people get $.15 for every HDMI device sold. That gets lowered to $.05 if they put the HDMI logo on it and it is lowered even further to $.04 if it supports HDCP. HDCP support requires its own sublicense and I don't know how much that is. Using the HDMI logos requires certification testing. There's also an annual licensing fee of either $5K + $1 per device sold up to 10,000 devices sold or a flat rate of $10K if 10K or more devices are going to be sold.

On top of that, the HDMI Licensing Group gets $15K from every company that wants to vote on the HDMI specs and another $5K if that company wants to be one the eleven board memebers.

The MPEG Licensing Administration, at one time, claimed that they would charge $.20 per device that uses DisplayPort. DisplayPort that supports HDCP licenses HDCP from the HDMI Licensing Group.

HDCP is the reason, but it's to extort more fees from legal users. The smallest chain of things is PC, Cable, Monitor. That's between $.12 and $.45 for HDMI and potentially $.20 and $.60 for DisplayPort that the respective licensing groups will rack up. That doesn't include the unknown HDCP licensing fees. If you add an HDCP extractor or HDMI splitter for fair use reasons, they get a little bit more money. Buy a KVM switch and they get a little bit more. Buy a soundbar to hear your TV shows and they get a little bit more.

No matter what way a company goes, they're getting extorted for Plug Fees and they get hit with HDCP fees regardless of who they go with.

EDIT: I read too fast about DisplayPort.

VESA, the creators of the DisplayPort standard, state that the standard is royalty-free to implement. However, in March 2015, MPEG LA issued a press release stating that a royalty rate of $0.20 per unit applies to DisplayPort products manufactured or sold in countries that are covered by one or more of the patents in the MPEG LA license pool, which includes patents from Hitachi Maxell, Philips, Lattice Semiconductor, Rambus, and Sony.[59][60] In response, VESA updated their DisplayPort FAQ page with the following statement:[61]
                      MPEG LA is making claims that DisplayPort implementation requires a license and a royalty payment. It is important to note that these are only CLAIMS. Whether these CLAIMS are relevant will likely be decided in a US court.

As of August 2019, VESA's official FAQ no longer contains a statement mentioning the MPEG LA royalty fees.

While VESA does not charge any per-device royalty fees, VESA requires membership for access to said standards.[62] The minimum cost is presently $5,000 (or $10,000 depending on Annual Corporate Sales Revenue) annually.
                      DisplayPort costs either $5K or $10K plus HCDP fees.
                      Last edited by skeevy420; 04 March 2024, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X