Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Supporting HDMI 2.1 Won't Hopefully Be Too Challenging Thanks To NVIDIA Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

DisplayPort 1.1 added support for HDCP as well as a DisplayPort-themed alternative named DPCP, so there shouldn't be any technical reason that a DisplayPort 2.2 couldn't add support for HDCP 2.2.
    Oh, I might be out of touch with HDCP, just read that the master key was leaked in 2010. Now I don't get why anyone is even using HDMI? Displayport is license free and has all of the features that HDMI has, most of the time far earlier then HDMI.

Edit:
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    It varies by the context, but closed source isn't inherently bad. Baldur's Gate 3 is closed source. If I had to put closed source on a scale of bad to good, hardware drivers and the OS would be on the bad end, patented stuff would be in the middle, and things like photography software and games would be at the good end.
    I don't think that closed source is inherently bad and it's a way of companies to protect their business. Although I would prefer even games being open source, I can understand why they aren't. I play many old games and there you see why closed source that doesn't get support is bad for the end user.
    For most non gaming stuff I'm totally fine with the open source solutions and can easily ignore photoshop, autocad and whatever.
    OS and drivers is a thing of trust. If the company doesn't trust us to see what they are doing we shouldn't trust them either.
    Last edited by Anux; 04 March 2024, 12:07 PM.

Comment

maybe don't report "hope" - show me the code, ... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
        Oh, I might be out of touch with HDCP, just read that the master key was leaked in 2010. Now I don't get why anyone is even using HDMI? Displayport is license free and has all of the features that HDMI has, most of the time far earlier then HDMI.
        and there are (bidirectional?) DP-HDMI adapters (for to keep installed cabling, with 'slight' (depends, <50%) cost advantage to (prob. more available, higher product(ion) numbers) HDMI and 4k/8k on ~7.5m/10m,33ft ), newer goes for USB-C (to DP or HDMI connector, no experience >3m, 9.9ft) (?)
        Last edited by back2未來; 04 March 2024, 12:31 PM. Reason: some more details

Comment

Edit:

I don't think that closed source is inherently bad and it's a way of companies to protect their business. Although I would prefer even games being open source, I can understand why they aren't. I play many old games and there you see why closed source that doesn't get support is bad for the end user.
          For most non gaming stuff I'm totally fine with the open source solutions and can easily ignore photoshop, autocad and whatever.
          OS and drivers is a thing of trust. If the company doesn't trust us to see what they are doing we shouldn't trust them either.
          until you realize closed source code quality is usually pretty bad, because nobody needs to see it. As proven by all the Microsoft, Apple, VMware, heck even Intel and AMD CPU security vulnerabilities. Have you seen the code quality of Intel's open source thunderbolt-utils? That is what average closed source looks like. And often worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysBj4cRU5c

Comment

Now I don't get why anyone is even using HDMI?
            Because there is no TV set with DP.

Why anyone using HDMI on PC/monitor? No idea, beats me too.

Why do people need 17k998Hz on TV? Don't know. 1080p probably will always be enough for me (*) on TV and AMD can do that with open source drivers.

* almost all new content is sh%t, I don't expect it to ever return to the quality and diversity of... let's say early 2000'

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen View Post
              Did a little birdie tell you?
              You... no provoke.
              Me want sane, good discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                until you realize closed source code quality is usually pretty bad, because nobody needs to see it. As proven by all the Microsoft, Apple, VMware, heck even Intel and AMD CPU security vulnerabilities. Have you seen the code quality of Intel's open source thunderbolt-utils? That is what average closed source looks like. And often worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ysBj4cRU5c
                I don't see this being different with open source, have you not heard the wayland devs complaining about X11 code quality? This is more a "many different devs evolving a super old code base and need to stay compatible" situation.
                Originally posted by rrveex View Post
                Because there is no TV set with DP.
                You misunderstood me. I was referring to TV manufacturers. They could save cost by going DP but all they do is 4 HDMI ports.

Comment

You misunderstood me. I was referring to TV manufacturers. They could save cost by going DP but all they do is 4 HDMI ports.
                  As I understand, it's a MAFIAA thing. Traffic between say DVD-player and TV-set is encrypted, apparently you can't put some recorder in the middle. Try to put DP on TV-set, get in trouble with MAFIAA. People pirate anyway, MAFIAA doesn't get it. TV-manufacturers sell the things anyway, 99% of people don't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    That's what happens with a closed proprietary interface like HDMI. This is why we should be using DisplayPort instead, as it's an open standard, unencumbered by patents and licensing and proprietary bullsh%t.
                    And yet, it's the closed solution that's prevalent across the vast majority of device. We're hosed.

While I'd love to see this change, I'd love to see new computers void of Windows when you buy them as well.... so, unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                      That's what happens with a closed proprietary interface like HDMI. This is why we should be using DisplayPort instead, as it's an open standard, unencumbered by patents and licensing and proprietary bullsh%t.
                      isn't displayport also proprietary?

Comment

Working...
                      X