Rust-Written NAK Compiler Merged For Nouveau/NVK In Mesa 24.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I tried 3 benchmarks (Unigine Valley, glmark2 and vkmark) and here are the results:

Valley:
    Nouveau without GSP: 531 Score, 12.7 FPS, 8.7 Min FPS, 18.4 Max FPS
    Nouveau with GSP: 1938 Score, 46.3 FPS, 29.2 Min FPS, 67.0 Max FPS
    NVIDIA: 9824 Score, 234.8 FPS, 53.1 Min FPS, 374.1 Max FPS

glmark2:
    Nouveau without GSP: 322 Score
    Nouveau with GSP: 5675 Score
    NVIDIA: 6231 Score

vkmark:
    Nouveau without GSP: 269 Score
    Nouveau with GSP: 1399 Score
    NVIDIA: 13236 Score​​

It is way faster than it was before but still there is big room for improvements. I heard that developers are focusing on Vulkan, OpenGL is not in the best shape (e.g. Unigine Valley crashes when you set better quality than Medium) so either somebody will pick it up and fix/rewrite it or Zink will handle it (currently NVK doesn't support Zink due to missing extensions). I guess latter approach is not that bad as Zink is performing pretty good. Nouveau might become first driver that will switch to Zink, instead of providing native OpenGL.

Still not replacement for proprietary driver but since now performance is not limited by lack of power management, I guess it will improve and someday in future it might be actually usable and provide good performance.
    Thank you!

The results are still IMO quite impressive. Some big deficits to overcome, but all three show atleast a quadrupling of results from without the GSP.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
      I tried 3 benchmarks (Unigine Valley, glmark2 and vkmark) and here are the results:
      How did you get the new module running ? I have tried using the Fedora daily kernel with no luck. What firmware files did you use ?

Comment

Originally posted by toughy View Post

How did you get the new module running ? I have tried using the Fedora daily kernel with no luck. What firmware files did you use ?
        The firmware files are now in linux-firmware.git if I'm not mistaken

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

The firmware files are now in linux-firmware.git if I'm not mistaken
          Yes, I installed all firmware from the main branch in linux-firmware, after building the default .rpm package from there, and I installed the daily kernel (vanilla kernel) from Fedora copr @kernel/mainline repository. Also compiled Mesa 24.0.0-devel from git main branch.

Somehow I still get the message "DRI3 not enabled" for both glxinfo and vulkaninfo, and mesa is using llvmpipe as the GL renderer instead of NV16 (the Turring TU102 chip). Same with both the default Mesa from Fedora 39, and the devel version compiled from git

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
            Faith Ekstrand is one of the main leader in developing on making all the stuff Explicit sync compliant. Moving on Vulkan is the proper way to guarantee this step. Explicit sync+Wayland+Vulkan is the trinity to make linux operating systems modern and great. Thenafter, optimization and hardware acceleration.
            Upvote for use of "thenafter".

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Thank you!

The results are still IMO quite impressive. Some big deficits to overcome, but all three show atleast a quadrupling of results from without the GSP.
              Yes, and it will be better. NVK is already in pretty good shape (it can run benchmark software and even some games without issue) for the project that was introduced year ago and it's still making progress on becoming even better. Since power management is no longer issue, developers are no longer blocked from making usable driver. Also Nouveau stability was pretty good for me. I heard there are still issues on some hardware but on my 3060 it was very stable. Sure OpenGL support is not without issues (like I mentioned Unigine Valley crashes with better settings) but overall it's very good, desktop and most applications were working without issues.​

Originally posted by toughy View Post

I did it on Arch Linux. First I compiled kernel 6.7 RC1 using tutorial from Arch Wiki (traditional compilation). I used kernel config from Arch kernel but if you have some time I suggest to spend some time and disable things you don't need because compilation will take long time without that (like if you have only Nvidia GPU, disable AMD and Intel GPU support). After restart when everything was fine, I installed GSP firmware using AUR package with GSP firmware (I can't recall name for it but you can easily find it if you search for Nouveau GSP firmware). Then I modified PKGBUILD for mesa-git package to disable drivers I don't need and enable Nouveau Vulkan, compiled and installed it and also installed libdrm-git package. After restart when everything was working as intended, I tried enabling GSP support with kernel parameter and it was working fine as well with much better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by writequit View Post

Upvote for use of "thenafter".
                Thanks, but I prefer thereafter.

Comment

NAK = The Nvidia Awesome Kompiler

NaK = liquid metal alloy that combusts in contact with almost anything, including water

Comment

Working...
                  X