Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written NAK Compiler Merged For Nouveau/NVK In Mesa 24.0

Phoronix: Rust-Written NAK Compiler Merged For Nouveau/NVK In Mesa 24.0

Merged overnight to Mesa 24.0 is the Rust-written NAK compiler back-end for the Nouveau Gallium3D driver and NVK Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Faith Ekstrand is one of the main leader in developing on making all the stuff Explicit sync compliant. Moving on Vulkan is the proper way to guarantee this step. Explicit sync+Wayland+Vulkan is the trinity to make linux operating systems modern and great. Thereafter, optimization and hardware acceleration.
    Last edited by MorrisS.; 15 November 2023, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Great!. i look forward to some benchmarks in the coming weeks/months. Looking forward to it.

Comment

I just did Nouveau benchmarks. Current NVK even with reclocking is still much slower than NVIDIA Vulkan, I wonder how much performance improved with this new compiler, I heard it should be faster.

EDIT: I realized that it is currently limited to Turing architecture and to compute shaders. So there is no way for me to test it for now.
        Last edited by dragon321; 14 November 2023, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Those efforts could be use to improve vGPU stuff (including Virtio) or other drivers. Ngreed will never learn to work with FOSS community like the rest corps, despite even best collaborating ones have a far from perfect relationship too.

What does RedHat smokes these days? IBM paperwork?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            Those efforts could be use to improve vGPU stuff (including Virtio) or other drivers.
            The work here will lead to improvements elsewhere. Getting the Nouveau driver updated while being a testbed for improvements that can and probably will improve the amd and intel, etc drivers by figuring out best practices as some of the work, NAK and AGX for instance, are using RUST. It can be really hard to do that with well established codebases where you want to avoid regressions for larger groups of users. Less of an issue for agx and nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
              I just made Nouveau benchmarks. Current NVK even with reclocking is still much slower than NVIDIA Vulkan
              Whats the current ballpark permformance figure? 5%? 10%? 50%?

Comment

So should I wait a bit longer before I sell my GIGABYTE GTX 260 OC?

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Whats the current ballpark permformance figure? 5%? 10%? 50%?
                  I tried 3 benchmarks (Unigine Valley, glmark2 and vkmark) and here are the results:

Valley:
                  Nouveau without GSP: 531 Score, 12.7 FPS, 8.7 Min FPS, 18.4 Max FPS
                  Nouveau with GSP: 1938 Score, 46.3 FPS, 29.2 Min FPS, 67.0 Max FPS
                  NVIDIA: 9824 Score, 234.8 FPS, 53.1 Min FPS, 374.1 Max FPS

glmark2:
                  Nouveau without GSP: 322 Score
                  Nouveau with GSP: 5675 Score
                  NVIDIA: 6231 Score

vkmark:
                  Nouveau without GSP: 269 Score
                  Nouveau with GSP: 1399 Score
                  NVIDIA: 13236 Score​​

It is way faster than it was before but still there is big room for improvements. I heard that developers are focusing on Vulkan, OpenGL is not in the best shape (e.g. Unigine Valley crashes when you set better quality than Medium) so either somebody will pick it up and fix/rewrite it or Zink will handle it (currently NVK doesn't support Zink due to missing extensions). I guess latter approach is not that bad as Zink is performing pretty good. Nouveau might become first driver that will switch to Zink, instead of providing native OpenGL.

Still not replacement for proprietary driver but since now performance is not limited by lack of power management, I guess it will improve and someday in future it might be actually usable and provide good performance.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    What does RedHat smokes these days? IBM paperwork?
                    wayland,x11, gnome, flatpak, pipewire, dbus, systemd, mesa, vulkan, noveau etc idk what they smoke, but i don't see any problem

Comment

Working...
                    X