Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Patches Posted For Running On NVIDIA GSP-RM Firmware, Initial RTX 40 Ada Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone post build instructions, maybe on a blog ? I just can't wait for the full kernel release...

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
      This is awesome news!

TBH I don't see a future where Nouveau holds any sort of performance edge to Nvidia's in house, but hey, a better default experience is still awesome!
      Oh, after a decade of reclocking firmware conspicuously missing from NVIDIA, at this point I would be so happy with just 85-90% of the performance of the proprietary driver ! No performance edge needed

Comment

Originally posted by Amaranth View Post

AMD's driver has generated header files for registers and such, Nvidia's driver has compiled binaries without any public source code embedded in it. It looks like those might be firmware but that's still not okay for upstream, it has to load those from disk.
        Are you talking about NVidia's open source driver, because we were in both cases talking about source code not binaries (and in both cases the source code is pregenerated from some firmware).

Obviously NVidia's blob is closed source, but thats a separate discussion/point.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

Are you talking about NVidia's open source driver, because we were in both cases talking about source code not binaries (and in both cases the source code is pregenerated from some firmware).

Obviously NVidia's blob is closed source, but thats a separate discussion/point.
          Ok, so you're willfully obtuse then. Understood.

Comment

Ok, so you're willfully obtuse then. Understood.
            And you have issues with reading comprehension

Comment

And you have issues with reading comprehension
              Ok, fine, we can try again. Does this look like source code? Can you point to anywhere in the AMD driver that is included in the kernel that has something similar? Like I said, it looks like it's probably just firmware but that's still a program binary converted to byte array and dumped into the source code. That disqualifies it from being included in the kernel.

To clarify in case you misunderstood the first time, I'm not saying that file is generated _from_ firmware, I'm saying that file most likely _is_ firmware.

Comment

Ok, fine, we can try again. Does this look like source code? Can you point to anywhere in the AMD driver that is included in the kernel that has something similar? Like I said, it looks like it's probably just firmware but that's still a program binary converted to byte array and dumped into the source code. That disqualifies it from being included in the kernel.

To clarify in case you misunderstood the first time, I'm not saying that file is generated _from_ firmware, I'm saying that file most likely _is_ firmware.
                You mean this https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...ata.c#L84-L109 ? I don't believe it is what you think it is.

In fact according to the README, the only binaries they provide are the OS agnostic ones and this is out of convenience/practicality (i.e. they take ages to compile), see https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...kernel-modules
                Last edited by mdedetrich; 29 September 2023, 03:27 AM.

Comment

In fact according to the README, the only binaries they provide are the OS agnostic ones and this is out of convenience/practicality (i.e. they take ages to compile), see https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...kernel-modules
                  That's talking about how you build a `.run` package that contains binary code and a source code shim, just like the proprietary driver. They're selling it as a compile savings but it's probably just because they reused the design and installer from the proprietary version. The binary parts are compiled from source as a part of making the `.run`, it's not what I linked to in my last post.

Comment

That's talking about how you build a `.run` package that contains binary code and a source code shim, just like the proprietary driver. They're selling it as a compile savings but it's probably just because they reused the design and installer from the proprietary version. The binary parts are compiled from source as a part of making the `.run`, it's not what I linked to in my last post.
                    I know, but what you linked to in your last post is not evidence that they are putting a binary in https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...de_GA100.c#L29

Comment

Working...
                    X