Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Patches Posted For Running On NVIDIA GSP-RM Firmware, Initial RTX 40 Ada Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    Britoid

I don't think kernel developers are concerned about the OS abstraction layer as long as the code itself is decent .
    Linux kernel developers in prior reviews they have routinely rejected abstraction layers because it often obfuscates the code or doesn't map cleanly on Linux. I am not aware of any Linux drivers with that OS abstractions merged upstream.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Linux kernel developers in prior reviews they have routinely rejected abstraction layers because it often obfuscates the code or doesn't map cleanly on Linux. I am not aware of any Linux drivers with that OS abstractions merged upstream.
      I was about to mention ZFS and then instantly realized it'd never been upstreamed

Comment

Great news. I hope nvidia gpus to be work painlessly with those open drives in near future.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
          This is awesome news!

TBH I don't see a future where Nouveau holds any sort of performance edge to Nvidia's in house, but hey, a better default experience is still awesome!
          You never know. Vulkan is closer to the metal, so theoretically it should be simpler to optimize. So, with re-clocking taken care off by GSP it shouldn't be too hard to have at least a Vulkan driver that can complete with the closed source one.

Comment

This is awesome news. Unfortunately it came too late for me to benefit, as I made the switch to a vendor with real Linux support (AMD) over the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Britoid

I don't think kernel developers are concerned about the OS abstraction layer as long as the code itself is decent.
              It isn't decent code, parts of it are atrocious. There are literally arrays of precompiled code with comments above them indicating the file/line number in their private repository
              Does this look upstreamable to you? Because it isnt

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post
                It isn't decent code, parts of it are atrocious. There are literally arrays of precompiled code with comments above them indicating the file/line number in their private repository
                Does this look upstreamable to you? Because it isnt
                https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-k...dUcode_GA100.c
                There is nothing wrong with pre-generated/compiled code, software projects do it all the time. Whether to include that precompiled code in the tree/vcs or integrate the generation into the build system is an open question and there isn't a right/wrong answer either way (and yes this also includes if the generation of the code is also open).

Also FYI, AMD driver also has a lot of pre-compiled code in the form of headers which comes from proprietary sources. Not sure how comparable it is, but this isn't that concerning/shocking as you seem to imply.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

TBH I don't see a future where Nouveau holds any sort of performance edge to Nvidia's in house, but hey, a better default experience is still awesome!
                  I just switched to AMD, but had I been still using an Nvidia card I would be very inclined to use Nouveau, if it had just 80-90% of the prop. Nvidia driver's performance, while also offering fan, voltage & frequency control. (preferably on Wayland too, which the current nonfree drivers cannot do even)

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
                    This is great to see. I look forward to the benchmark results in a future article. It will interesting to see how close the opengl performance is between the 2.
                    Performance is still going to be bad due to the old shader compiler. Once the NAK compiler gets merged and used by default, that's when we will see actually competitive performance.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

There is nothing wrong with pre-generated/compiled code, software projects do it all the time. Whether to include that precompiled code in the tree/vcs or integrate the generation into the build system is an open question and there isn't a right/wrong answer either way (and yes this also includes if the generation of the code is also open).

Also FYI, AMD driver also has a lot of pre-compiled code in the form of headers which comes from proprietary sources. Not sure how comparable it is, but this isn't that concerning/shocking as you seem to imply.
                      AMD's driver has generated header files for registers and such, Nvidia's driver has compiled binaries without any public source code embedded in it. It looks like those might be firmware but that's still not okay for upstream, it has to load those from disk.

Comment

Working...
                      X