Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nouveau Kernel Driver Patches Begin Preparing For "NVK" Open-Source Vulkan Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post
    The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly. It's so far from the truth it's actually laughable.
    Does the NVidia driver have a public bug tracker that we can compare to the above links?

Comment

Originally posted by cooperate View Post

Can you tell me as well because I'd also like to stop using nvidia's proprietary driver.
      it is potentially franken-firmware.

Great that it exists and can be used by an open kernel driver, but - and this is without seeing the code - it seems like they stuffed the whole kernel driver into the firmware instead of having it as a thin layer.

Now, it could be that the hardware is that buggy, or it could be something else, but many people have raised eyebrows at the size of the GSP.

Comment

Maybe this will cause Nouveau to finally get ported to OpenBSD. It has already been ported to NetBSD. It would be great to be able to run OpenBSD on Nvidia hardware that isn't ancient enough to use the NV driver. Right now I have to recommend everyone who wants a *BSD FreeBSD over OpenBSD if they have Nvidia because with Nvidia in Open you just get vesa graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Great that it exists and can be used by an open kernel driver, but - and this is without seeing the code - it seems like they stuffed the whole kernel driver into the firmware instead of having it as a thin layer.

Now, it could be that the hardware is that buggy, or it could be something else, but many people have raised eyebrows at the size of the GSP.
          there is a lot of lockdown in the firmware that AMD would lock down in hardware. things like sriov or whatever nvidia calls it and other compute features that would be locked down. now get punted to the firmware

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            there is a lot of lockdown in the firmware that AMD would lock down in hardware. things like sriov or whatever nvidia calls it and other compute features that would be locked down. now get punted to the firmware
            I don't know about NVidia, but on AMD products those features are locked down with fuses directly connected to logic gates, not firmware.

AFAIK the only thing we hid in firmware was part of the UVD/VCN initialization sequence (along with some HW changes) so that we could provide open source video drivers without putting closed source DRM at risk.

If you are saying that AMD locks down in hardware while other companies lock down in firmware that could very well be correct, I don't know. We have also locked things down in firmware in the past but I don't think we have done that for quite a few years now.
            Last edited by bridgman; 18 January 2023, 11:13 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

I don’t really care about non-free firmware. Unless you’re in the FSF, you’re probably already using a bunch non-free firmware already, either from package manager or the Linux kernel itself. Even Debian started accepting non-free firmware. What difference does it make if it’s big or small? How do you even define big firmware? As long as it doesn’t touch my CPU and kernel, I don’t care. Anyways, I wish more hardware components had that GSP processor. In theory, you should have better performance by offloading those tasks to the firmware of your device.
              Last edited by cooperate; 19 January 2023, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                If you are saying that AMD locks down in hardware while other companies lock down in firmware that could very well be correct, I don't know. We have also locked things down in firmware in the past but I don't think we have done that for quite a few years now.
                this is indeed what I was getting at, I obviously cannot comment on the degree of lock down that nvidia has pushed to firmware since I have no clue, however I can say that modded nvidia drivers have at multiple times, unlocked features that would typically be found in "professional cards", on both windows and linux, the most high profile mod in recent times being vgpu or sriov, or whatever they call it. and I know the mod is supported on at least up to the 2000 series cards which ofc are GSP cards.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Does the NVidia driver have a public bug tracker that we can compare to the above links?
                  I've already given a link to their public forums and listed some egregious bugs. Is there anything else I can do?

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Work better than Nouveau which is what this story is about.
                  I perfectly understand that. The fact that this topic is infested with hardcore AMD/Intel fans is quite astonishing. If you're happy with your drivers, why visit a topic about a vile company which obviously hates Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                    someone: AMD and Intel opensource drivers are currently better on linux than Nvidia closed source

feathered person: AMD is not perfect, ergo Nvidia is better, gotcha! also it's linux's fault not Nvidia's that Nvidia driver on linux is bad

someone: facepalm

also feathered person probably meant OpenCL not OpenGL a couple posts above...

to feathered person:
                    i'm not gonna claim people who praise AMD drivers are 100% unbiased 100% of the time... but you should get off that high horse if you think you are remotely unbiased in your recurring discourse

less complaining, more pondering and info contribution, please!

also there is a bunch of folks here using debate club tactics that are mostly toxic, you included
                    A ton of ad hominem and lies. Never ever I've said or implied that "NVIDIA is better".

Can you please prove that "Nvidia driver on linux is bad" outside of not being open sourced and not yet properly and fully supporting Wayland which according to Mozilla is used by less than 10% of Linux users?

I didn't mean OpenCL, I meant OpenGL.

On any other forum where moderators actually care about insults and ad hominems, a lot of people in this thread would have long been banned but I guess here on Phoronix it's OK as long as multiple people verbally assault a single person. This topic is absolutely worth saving to Web Archive as a perfect example of the open source community's friendliness and manners, or did I say hostility and aggression?

Comment

here you fabricate the idea that anyone in the thread was claiming AMD driver to "work perfectly", which just didn't happen

Originally posted by avis View Post
                      The irony is to believe that AMD/Intel open source drivers work perfectly. It's so far from the truth it's actually laughable.
                      in one way or another this false claim and the reactions to it motivated your other posts
                      Last edited by marlock; 19 January 2023, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X