Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Publishes 73k Lines Worth Of 3D Header Files For Fermi Through Ampere GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post

I am going to have to agree with you on many of your stances about NVIDIA. And no I am not an NVIDIOT fanboy, fact and the matter is NVIDIA runs all my games without issues. My 6800XT was plagued with issues when I had it. I still see people trying to find help with all sorts of issues being able to play games without either stutters or some weird artifact issues in some title that is for the most part still played by a lot of people.

Unless someone could prove and show me a large sample of at least 150 games performing fluidly and without artifact DX11 and earlier games, I will not be convinced.

People gripe about the proprietary drivers on Linux breaking stuff after an update, my answer to that is that if you have nvidia hardware you need to be competent at knowing how to reinstall a driver if your desktop is borked. I would choose having to install drivers outside a crashed desktop environment any day of the week especially when that driver being installed is going to run all my games well.

My philosophy is get the hardware that plays all your games well, the story ends there.
    I've got zero "stances about NVIDIA" or any other company for that matter. You must have confused me with someone else.

Comment

birdie perhaps so, however, I am not convinced of that.

Here is my stance, If a company releases a GPU, that GPU needs to run pretty much every game from day one and well.

So far the only company that I know that comes close to that and does indeed virtually do it is NVIDIA. I don't want to spend $300+ on something and find out otherwise, that's what happened to me with AMD. I am still researching people having issues with those GPU's and it's still happening to this very day.
      Last edited by creative; 14 August 2022, 09:45 AM.

Comment

oiaohm Are you getting that into your head that I have had literally zero issues with my NVIDIA GPU's with every game I have? Do you understand? NVIDIA does have a few drivers that suck, I dont' use those. NVIDIA 510 series are completely fine on my end, the 515 are fine as well except for the native SOTTR port, which is a bad port in my opinion its always had some kind of weird issue.....fine in windows though.
        Not all of us are that lucky. I have had nice fun issue with some really old retro games with Nvidia that don't give problems with Intel or AMD.

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/soft..._new_heights/1 No SOTTR is not a bad port. Many people get it working perfectly on Linux with AMD or Intel graphics. The problem comes about that the development platform for SOTTR was AMD technology supported.

You will find at times AMD or Nvidia supported development of games end up using features that don't work well on other vendors cards or find issues in other vendors drivers.

SOTTR having weird issue with Nvidia is to expected. The Windows driver of Nvidia enabled a few quirks so that SOTTR works under Windows. Of course the Nvidia drivers under Linux don't do that for you. Yes if you find how to disable the Nvidia enabled quirks under windows Windows and then run SOTTR you will find running into parts of the Nvidia driver that is busted. You can confirm this by getting the testsuites for the graphical toolkits for where Nvidia screwing up and find that those don't work either..

The SOTTR difference is really the difference in support Nvidia puts into their drivers here between Windows and Linux. Nvidia on Windows is fairly good at covering lot of the issues on Linux not quite as good.

No vendors drivers are perfect. No vendor technical support to game developers is perfect either. Combination of imperfect drivers and imperfect technical support to game developers does result in some really good head scratcher problems. Really bad when that you have played though a 100 hour game and the last area does not work and nukes your save that happened in the past by AMD and Nvidia technical support for development on different games. So the SOTTR problem you hit is just nature of the beast.

People gripe about the proprietary drivers on Linux breaking stuff after an update, my answer to that is that if you have nvidia hardware you need to be competent at knowing how to reinstall a driver if your desktop is borked. I would choose having to install drivers outside a crashed desktop environment any day of the week especially when that driver being installed is going to run all my games well.
        This is your big problem. Lets say you are setting up a computer for a lower computer skilled person. Is that gripe of proprietary drivers breaking after update a major problem yes it is for cases where the user is not as computer skilled. The bad news here there are people who get the Nvidia driver breaking with updates and not all their games running.

Unless someone could prove and show me a large sample of at least a 150 relatively modern games performing fluidly and without artifact DX11 and earlier games, I will not be convinced about AMD's open source drivers being 'uber-win-elite' and Gods gift to Linux.
        This is really simple list to find. Valve Steamdeck approved games. Yes steamdeck Linux and AMD APU. So that list is a few thousand that work perfectly.
        Yes there are games that people play that work better under Linux on AMD than Nvidia GPU like it or not.

With the number of computer games that exist its always possible to create a list of games that don't like AMD or don't like Nvidia. Please note I am not saying you don't have problems with AMD and less with Nvidia that possible as it purely your choice of games. Yes it possible for a person to have a choice of games that is the exact other way. Just like it possible to have a choice games where they all work better on Linux than Windows. There are enough games out their to choose groups of 300 hundred telling any story you want. Is that a useful list to wave around for a person choosing hardware no they are not. This is truth lies and statistics. 150 games is too small of a sample size to tell any story basically.

But you need to have some understanding why people would be hating Nvidia so badly. The issue the following person is running into:
        I have the following Problem: For several hours now I am trying to get TES 4 Oblivion to run on Ubuntu with no luck at all. The Launcher starts just fine but it just refuses to recognize the Nvidia...

Yes the most common people with Nvidia closed source driver giving them the complete rounds of hell are the laptop users that have a Prime setup. Yes they don't have their games working and have stability issues and have to deal with driver issues after kernel updates. On laptops where you have battery to worry about as well having to screw around fixing up driver is really not a good thing either.

Prime setup is particular problem child because you have the closed source Nvidia driver and the in kernel Intel or AMD driver that need to be in sync with each other when they are not in sync this is going to cause user hell. Worst part this is hell to a user on a laptop where battery usage is important and lot of cases people will be expecting to boot a laptop up and straight up do something not be fixing up drivers..

Open sourcing the Nvidia kernel drivers and getting them into mainline will be most helpful to laptop users. Yes laptop users just remake the driver on the fly is not a suitable answer. Also remember laptop user when they wake up update broke their machine they can be away from Internet connection. So one very unhappy camper who will have a very bad grudge.

Creative you think about it you do update Nvidia breaks and now you cannot fix it for a week because of where you are how unhappy are going to be and how bad of a grudge could you have developed.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

AMD/Nvidia have been locking features to professional cards for years. For example AMD reduced the bandwidth of the Radeon VII’s FP64 performance to 1:4. Nvidia’s consumer GPUs tensor performance when using FP16 w/FP32 Accumulate is reduced to .5x compared to 1x on the Titan RTX/Pro cards. Lack of GPU virtualization from both on consumer GPUs but there was a recent hack for Nvidia that allows consumer GPUs to work.

Last I recall AMD’s consumer GPUs don’t support 30-bit color using OpenGL. While Nvidia enabled support with their Studio drivers for consumer GPUs in 2019. At the end of the day Nvidia GPUs have much more functionality with Studio drivers than AMD’s open source drivers when it comes to professional work loads.
          You got that reversed the MESA drivers all support 30-color in OpenGL. The only driver that does not is NVidia on non-Quadro hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You got that reversed the MESA drivers all support 30-color in OpenGL. The only driver that does not is NVidia on non-Quadro hardware.
            Nope, Nvidia Studio drivers support 30-bit color in OpenGL: https://techgage.com/news/nvidia-ena...tudio-drivers/

Not sure how long mesa supported 30-bit color on non Pro cards but AMD’s proprietary drivers did restrict it to their professional cards.

Comment

Originally posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Nope, Nvidia Studio drivers support 30-bit color in OpenGL: https://techgage.com/news/nvidia-ena...tudio-drivers/

Not sure how long mesa supported 30-bit color on non Pro cards but AMD’s proprietary drivers did restrict it to their professional cards.
              That is new. We only ever had to blacklist NVidia drivers in the Qt autotests, because they would fail 30bit OpenGL rendering. Haven't checked in a few years though.

Comment

oiaohm You have some points, I am behind the times. I never really bothered to look into the steam deck. There is actually a lot of stuff I don't keep up with. It does not help that I had a bad experience with an AMD GPU, hopefully in the future stuff works out better.

Could have been batches of bad silicone or some other failing part shipped out to a lot of different AIB producers who knows. I do also know that lots of people were getting bad 3090's as well, sometimes its just the luck of the draw. Seen lots of examples of people pulling their hair out with 6800xt's and 6900xt's though. Then I see people post about having 6700XT's, 6800XT 's and saying they absolutely love the cards, which I thought they have to lying but its hard to know anymore, they could have received good samples.
                Last edited by creative; 15 August 2022, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

the vbios was never encrypted.
                  Ha. Well, that's good.

Comment

oiaohm You have some points, I am behind the times. I never really bothered to look into the steam deck. There is actually a lot of stuff I don't keep up with. It does not help that I had a bad experience with an AMD GPU, hopefully in the future stuff works out better.

Could have been batches of bad silicone or some other failing part shipped out to a lot of different AIB producers who knows. I do also know that lots of people were getting bad 3090's as well, sometimes its just the luck of the draw. Seen lots of examples of people pulling their hair out with 6800xt's and 6900xt's though. Then I see people post about having 6700XT's, 6800XT 's and saying they absolutely love the cards, which I thought they have to lying but its hard to know anymore, they could have received good samples.
                    3090's end 2020 there were batches of them that had recalls. There were recalls on a broad range of GPUs and Motherboards and powersupplies before they got sold here. This is horrible but a factory workers got COVID-19 the COVID-19 particles got into the power regulator chip production contaminating the casing material resulting in chips that cause unstable power rails when they get to a particular temperature and stay above temperature(yes passes factory testing does not pass gaming session). Would depend when you bought it and if your supplier decided to inform their customers that their hardware was dud. Please note I said factory workers this was not a single factory. This problem did not effect only a single AIB or single vendor of power management chips. This is part of buying hardware there is part luck of draw to it.

6700XT was made and released after all those dud parts were no longer around and by then had been learnt don't let sick humans near IC casing material. The random dud rate of power management chips has decreased most likely some of these dud was coming from the yearly flu/colds that people had not worked out. There has been a lot of things like this where COVID-19 has been good for the long term by short term pain.

creative may not have been them receiving good samples but you lucking out and receiving defective sample because you bought item that used parts with this particular issue. Be thankful it was not one of the power supplies effected with this problem some of them died in complete system killing ways.

Of course does not change the fact that your selection of games could just happen to be very anti AMD. I could also pick out a list of games that are very anti Nvidia as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X