Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Publishes 73k Lines Worth Of 3D Header Files For Fermi Through Ampere GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arQon View Post
    1) You need to work on your reading comprehension.
    Says the one who clearly didn't read my post and has no intention on coming to an understanding.
    Useful conversation? No such thing can occur when your immediate response is to dismiss and ridicule.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      You seem to contradict yourself too - if "Nvidia doesn't give a flying f**k" then why release anything? If they supposedly don't have to, why do it? It's a legal liability. It's expensive for them to do this. It's a slow enough process that FLOSS advocates are getting impatient. It threatens the stability of their drivers by 3rd party developers (which is probably why they aren't touching Mesa yet). So, you keep insisting I'm wrong and projecting, yet you come up with nothing that makes sense. I'm not even all that confident the hackers are the reason - like I said, there are long-term profits to be had, which is a more compelling reason and less of a conspiracy theory. But no, apparently Wayland is the goal...
      Because in order for them to support Linux in the future (taking into account the direction that Linux is going), they have to. NVidia open sourcing this part of the driver was a last resort for them, they were trying to argue for different mechanisms (i.e. EGLStreams) but no one in the Linux community supported that. This then forced NVidia to support GBM and for purely technical reasons in order to get their code accepted/usable in the kernel true it needs to be open source. NVidia doesn't care about open source but they do care about the quality and the usage of their graphics stack.

That alone is enough to put an entire dent into your conspiracy theory, or you could just continue arguing Alex Jones style.
      Last edited by mdedetrich; 11 August 2022, 08:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        Because in order for them to support Linux in the future (taking into account the direction that Linux is going), they have to. NVidia open sourcing this part of the driver was a last resort for them, they were trying to argue for different mechanisms (i.e. EGLStreams) but no one in the Linux community supported that. This then forced NVidia to support GBM and for purely technical reasons in order to get their code accepted/usable in the kernel true it needs to be open source. NVidia doesn't care about open source but they do care about the quality and the usage of their graphics stack.

That alone is enough to put an entire dent into your conspiracy theory, or you could just continue arguing Alex Jones style.
        No, they don't. Nvidia's closed drivers already work with Wayland. Not well, but they do work. Open sourcing is not a requirement for Wayland compatibility, it would just yield better results. I already [indirectly] pointed out how EGLSteams was not an acceptable solution, yet Nvidia never acted for all this time. Nvidia's Linux desktop marketshare hasn't grown enough for them to care about Wayland. There is nothing preventing Nvidia from using a better method while keeping most things closed-source. Even on X11, Nvidia has stuttery performance and pretty much always has, so why should they suddenly care how well rendering works on Wayland?

Stop projecting.

Comment

No, they don't. Nvidia's closed drivers already work with Wayland. Not well, but they do work. Open sourcing is not a requirement for Wayland compatibility, it would just yield better results. I already [indirectly] pointed out how EGLSteams was not an acceptable solution, yet Nvidia never acted for all this time. Nvidia's Linux desktop marketshare hasn't grown enough for them to care about Wayland. There is nothing preventing Nvidia from using a better method while keeping most things closed-source. Even on X11, Nvidia has stuttery performance and pretty much always has, so why should they suddenly care how well rendering works on Wayland?

Stop projecting.
          For NVidia's drivers to actually work properly they do need to work completely with GBM which current drivers do not, apart from implicit/explicit sync issues the major reason behind a lot of current NVidia integration issues is due to this.

Unlike Windows, Linux doesn't have a stable ABI and although many of these problems were solvable with X11's design thats not the case with Wayland.
          Last edited by mdedetrich; 11 August 2022, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post

It was my impression the newer bios firmwares are encrypted (as opposed to just being signed) so they can't be dumped into something you can reverse as is... Good to know there's exceptions.
            the vbios was never encrypted.

Comment

Stop projecting.
              Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

For NVidia's drivers to actually work properly they do need to work completely with GBM which current drivers do not, apart from implicit/explicit sync issues the major reason behind a lot of current NVidia integration issues is due to this.
              Sorry, but both of you are wrong. Wayland isn't as important as you think it is, and Nvidia has better reason to open source besides some silly crypto bros wanting to make cheap money and threatening to release source code or wayland.
              Last edited by karolherbst; 11 August 2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

The reality its not the desktop market share that is causing Nvidia to care about wayland and open source their drivers. The parties causing Nvidia to care about both is in fact the supercomputer market. Yes Nvidia provided open source driver for current cards was high end accelerator cards first. Yes the first version of Nvidia open sourcing their driver was only for cards that those with super computers could buy. More people like using GUI for system management these days. Insecure X11 is not that suitable in lots of areas.

Nvidia has managed recently to badly upset those running supercomputers and GPU accelerated data processing with the anti crypto coin stuff incorrectly disrupting their operations. Remember you test workloads for supercomputers normally on Linux workstation before allocating days to months of super computer time to the problem.

Nvidia seaming change of heart is that they have screwed up badly in a highly valuable market to them. Hardware vendors the problem is way more complex. Yes the Linux workstation market is small but its a required item for the supercomputer and data processing market. Yes windows adding WSL is also about supercomputer and data processing market. There is a lot money in being Linux workstation usage compatible that vendor gets access to.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  I'm curious why you felt the need to add this inane comment which has nothing to do with this news piece.

And this ugly stupid GIF file which makes no one happy, sucks a statement, misunderstood by most people because very few actually remember/know under which circumstances it was said. In short, I won't see your messages any longer.
                  Please fill out the butthurt form as well.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                    I'm curious why you felt the need to add this inane comment which has nothing to do with this news piece.

And this ugly stupid GIF file which makes no one happy, sucks a statement, misunderstood by most people because very few actually remember/know under which circumstances it was said. In short, I won't see your messages any longer.
                    You just have won 'the hypocrite of the decade' price.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                      I don't hate Nvidia, I dislike and not appreciate it at all. The rest arent much better, but provide cleaner open source driver alternatives at least..

I'm not going to touch Nvidia hardware nor provide it to my clients, I'm not that evil. Sorry.
                      Meanwhile all those with AMD GPU's that love Dishonored 2 get glitched out oceans and really poor performance. Support for that game has yet to be improved, even my GTX 1070 wiped the floor with how fluid it ran that game. My RTX 3070 makes the Dishonored 2 experience sublime. I see 6800XT and 6900XT owners posting their woes with that game and others. Oh and the 5700xt is not that much better off in that game.

I am going to be quite honest, I am glad the 6800xt I had suddenly croaked. It absolutely destroyed Shadow Of The Tomb Raider beyond imagination with incredible performance that was off the scale insane. AMD GPU's are outlandishly powerful, I hope their game support and drivers get better.

At the end of the day I still wish I had an AMD GPU but their support across API's and games still isn't good enough. I have an incredibly expansive and varied steam library, NVIDIA does not disappoint, it simply runs all of my games very very well, and I am willing to bet it's only going to get better.
                      Last edited by creative; 13 August 2022, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X