Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Out The Nouveau Driver On Fedora 11

Phoronix: Testing Out The Nouveau Driver On Fedora 11

With the forthcoming release of Fedora 11, Red Hat has made the bold (but wise) decision of replacing xf86-video-nv as the default open-source NVIDIA driver with the Nouveau driver instead. The xf86-video-nv driver is officially maintained by NVIDIA, but it's their half-assed attempt at being open-source friendly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have to say well done to both Fedora and the Nouveau developers!

It would be ironic if Nouveau got into a better state overall than the radeonhd or ati drivers =/

Comment

How is multi-monitor hotplugging support?

The proprietary Nvidia drivers always had a problem with this. If you plug in a monitor, it isn't recognized. Then, when you detect the monitor through Nvidia X Server Settings, the monitors are combined into one big screen. Maximizing a window will stretch it over all available monitors. You have to log out and restart the X server before multi-monitor works correctly.

Comment

Fantastic work done by fedora as usual.

I only wish yum was half as fast as apt, and there was a fully open source equivalent to canonical's soyuz. To bad that neither will ever happen.

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
          Fantastic work done by fedora as usual.

I only wish yum was half as fast as apt, and there was a fully open source equivalent to canonical's soyuz. To bad that neither will ever happen.
          If zypper was ported over (stalled because fedora had a rpm upgrade), I would probably switch over to fedora. Yum isn't that slow though, but zypper destroys it.

Comment

On most modern hardware yum is probably fine.

On my aspire one (atom n270, 8GiB ssd) it took over 14 hours to upgrade from fedora 10 to rawhide. This was mid February. 14 hours is far too long to upgrade to a following release.

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
              I only wish yum was half as fast as apt
              did you try any recent yum version? speed was one of the recent focus on development. Additionally, rpm 4.7 is also bringing more speed to the transaction, so I suggest you really give a spin to F11 beta (out in two days)
              Last edited by giallu; 29 March 2009, 04:16 PM.

Comment

My experience with yum is fairly current. Fedora 10 was what I tried to upgrade to rawhide as I detailed above.

I will see if i can make it repeatable and provide more information.

Comment

This is just awesome!

A big thank you to all nouveau and fedora developers! Great work.

Comment

Originally posted by faemir View Post
                    I have to say well done to both Fedora and the Nouveau developers!

It would be ironic if Nouveau got into a better state overall than the radeonhd or ati drivers =/
                    Would be nice to see it in full 3d glory

Comment

Working...
                    X