Open-Source 3D/Compute Finally Materializing For NVIDIA Volta / Turing GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source 3D/Compute Finally Materializing For NVIDIA Volta / Turing GPUs

Phoronix: Open-Source 3D/Compute Finally Materializing For NVIDIA Volta / Turing GPUs

The open-source Nouveau kernel driver has supported Volta GPUs for some time and since Linux 5.6 also supported open-source initialization of Turing GPUs for hardware acceleration. But missing for Volta and Turing has been the Mesa-side support for enabling 3D (OpenGL) and compute (OpenCL) functionality on these newer GPUs. That is finally changing with pending Mesa patches...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that nvidia opensource promise is becoming as elusive as the year of the linux desktop.

Comment

Who knows, maybe it is just machine learning AI stuff and they are afraid to unleash the wrath of those who had still some hope left

Comment

I think this is pretty cool. I didn't expect to see OpenCL so soon.

Comment

It's so simple: don't wait for their plumbing vote with your wallet and don't buy Nvidia, ... Support AMD, Intel & everyone else who releases specs and otherwise contribute to OpenSource, ..! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
            It's so simple: don't wait for their plumbing vote with your wallet and don't buy Nvidia, ... Support AMD, Intel & everyone else who releases specs and otherwise contribute to OpenSource, ..! ;-)
            sometimes is not simple, the lake of laptops in my country without nvidia dgpu is a problem if you need a better laptop but at least some amd ryzen come to market this days

Comment

I finally gave up on NVIDIA and bought an AMD GPU last month…
              EDIT: I checked and it was actually the end of April, not quite "last month". :P
              Last edited by PluMGMK; 09 June 2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

One day Nouveau, one day.

Using a 1080TI atm, quite happy with it performance wise, I'm still on the fence with AMD until I see EVERYTHING their next gen GPU's can offer.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  It's that simply. Either you value and support open source or not. There should be plenty of AMD and otherwise Intel options out there. Especially now with AMD Mobile Ryzen 4000 there is no excuse at all.

Comment

I feel sorry for the nouveau developers who give so much efforts for this great & stable driver; and I feel angry against some Manufacturers who don't open their boards specs.

Comment

Working...
                    X