No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel Set To Expose Hidden NVIDIA HDA Controllers, Helping Laptop Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Kernel Set To Expose Hidden NVIDIA HDA Controllers, Helping Laptop Users

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Set To Expose Hidden NVIDIA HDA Controllers, Helping Laptop Users

If you are a user of the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" Linux graphics driver on laptops and have found no audio support, that is likely to be fixed by an upcoming kernel patch that should make its way to the Linux 5.3 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nvidia is the gift that keeps on smelling like pile of shit. I had hope for AMD's Navi, but that hope is withering as well. Sad state for gpu's in general.

Comment

Well it is not hidden anymore. The next thought whether the unhide approach is correct. There is a reason for why this configuration bit exists.

Comment

Navi is a joke, so is all that AMD opensource work. AMD to save money stopped developing Linux drivers and dumped them on the community fooling them into thinking they are such a good guys. The fact is they don't give a crap about Linux users and that will backfire at them sooner or later. While Nvidia may not be opensource friendly, they at least provide solid drivers and performance.
        I had high hopes with Navi, like most people...fool me once AMD, shame on you, fool me twice...

Comment

Lol, nouveau.

Comment

So how do I set that bit with proprietary driver so I don't get audio in the crappy monitor speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              So how do I set that bit with proprietary driver so I don't get audio in the crappy monitor speakers?
              See the example from that NVIDIA forum thread link, e.g. (though possible different location of your GPU on the PCI bus):
              • setpci -s 01:00.0 0x488.l=0x2000000:0x2000000
              • rmmod nvidia-drm nvidia-modeset nvidia
              • echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0/remove
              • echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:01.0/rescan
              • modprobe nvidia-drm
              • xinit -- -retro
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
                Navi is a joke, so is all that AMD opensource work. AMD to save money stopped developing Linux drivers and dumped them on the community fooling them into thinking they are such a good guys. The fact is they don't give a crap about Linux users and that will backfire at them sooner or later. While Nvidia may not be opensource friendly, they at least provide solid drivers and performance.
                I had high hopes with Navi, like most people...fool me once AMD, shame on you, fool me twice...
                you had high hopes. you have fooled yourself. Not AMD you.

Comment

Originally posted by alex79 View Post
                  Navi is a joke, so is all that AMD opensource work. AMD to save money stopped developing Linux drivers and dumped them on the community
                  FYI: AMD still has a proprietary driver, more news at 20:00

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    FYI: AMD still has a proprietary driver, more news at 20:00
                    On par with open source drivers and in some cases worse, thank you captain.

Comment

Working...
                    X