Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMDGPU Queues Up "More Stuff" For Linux 4.16

Phoronix: AMDGPU Queues Up "More Stuff" For Linux 4.16

AMD has sent in another round of AMDGPU Direct Rendering Manager driver updates to DRM-Next for staging until the Linux 4.16 kernel merge window next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At the moment, KFD changes flow through Oded's tree not mine. IIRC, there are already quite a few changes queued up.

Comment

Not overly interested in a 4core 4ghz Raven Ridge, but would be once 8core 4.5ghz appear so its nice the ground work is being done beforehand.

Comment

I am not entirely sure how to feel.
        DC has landed (which is awesome) and work is going to continue on it to make it even better (again awesome)
        ROC is coming to a mainline kernel near us soon (so I guess I have that to wait for, which is nice)

but after that? what have I got to look forward to? it'll all be in there!

How can I be an AMD Linux fan if there is nothing to wait for!?!? :P

p.s. Great Work team AMD - I am a rather happy fanboi right now

Comment

Originally posted by boxie View Post
          DC has landed (which is awesome) and work is going to continue on it to make it even better (again awesome)
          ROC is coming to a mainline kernel near us soon (so I guess I have that to wait for, which is nice)

Vulkan related topics would be a good direction to look for I guess XD

Comment

Originally posted by extraymond View Post

Vulkan related topics would be a good direction to look for I guess XD
            yeah, but that should be dropping soon - Vulkan, ROCm and then?! I guess we can just wait for a GUI Control Panel - that'd be nice. agd5f or bridgman can you hook us up with an announcement of a gui control panel project so we can begin the waiting process? :P
            Last edited by boxie; 20 December 2017, 11:47 PM. Reason: Just to be clear, yes I am complaining (tongue in cheek) about soon not having a big project to wait for

Comment

Don't worry, you'll be waiting for performance parity with worse-hardware nvidia cards forever :P

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

There is xsensors that shows the temperature. There is sysfs interface in the amdgpu driver, make your own python 3 app if you really need that kind of stuff. I do not need. A python user interface example, I made an app for displaying the battery level of my PS3 bluetooth gamepad.
                Code:
                snip
                There is radeon-profile already as our GUI control panel. It can
                - overclock and control fans on some cards
                - log graphs / files to display temps, gpu / vram usage etc.
                - switch power profiles
                - event tracking

What is missing:
                - GalliumHUD controls integration
                - vsync / freesync stuff / display config integration
                - radeontop integration
                - color / video profile integration
                - game profiles integration like controling the openGL-threading whitelist or force AA and AF modes

Most of those points are already available via command line or e.g. KDE / GNOME. But it would be nice to have it all in one place. Help out if you are a coder: https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile
                Daemon for radeon-profile GUI. Contribute to marazmista/radeon-profile-daemon development by creating an account on GitHub.

AMD / redhat / valve can then concentrate on
                - openGL 4.6 for radeonSI and 4.4/4.5 for r600
                - mainlining freesync and rocm and ravenridge support
                - perf-tuning vega
                - earlier nextgen gpu support
                - vulkan perf and feature parity
                - openGL compat profiles in radeonSI
                - deprecating more binary drivers where possible
                - AR / VR bringup
                - HDR display bringup

did I miss something? (yeah crossfire, but that will never happen)
                Last edited by tomtomme; 21 December 2017, 03:18 AM.

Comment

More stuff, but still no corrections for audio over hdmi, and no sign to add high bitrate audio. Which is already "old tech" and required for HTPC.

Comment

yeah, but that should be dropping soon - Vulkan, ROCm and then?! I guess we can just wait for a GUI Control Panel - that'd be nice. agd5f or bridgman can you hook us up with an announcement of a gui control panel project so we can begin the waiting process? :P
                    Something I'm really waiting for is for AMD to close the gap on Nvidia on the CPU overhead we are seeing in all the tests on Phoronix. Why would AMD continually perform 10-20% worse on CPU-limited games? It doesn't really bother me that L4D2 is running with 210 FPS an Nvidia and 190 FPS on AMD, but I guess this overhead is affecting all games across the board. When running 30 FPS, there is quite a noticable difference between 30 and 35 FPS or 25 and 30 FPS.

Just to see that AMD is performing on par with Nvidia in most tests would be very satisfying.

Comment

Working...
                    X