Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RADV Vulkan Driver Is Shy Of 40,000 Lines Of Code

Phoronix: The RADV Vulkan Driver Is Shy Of 40,000 Lines Of Code

It remains to be seen how exactly the situation will play out with the existing open-source RADV Vulkan driver that's in the Mesa tree and AMD's to-be-opened "Radeon Open Vulkan" driver that is the company's official Vulkan driver. At least though Vulkan drivers are lighter and less maintenance than OpenGL drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You also totally forgot to mention NIR

Comment

I don't understand, I thought Vulkan drivers were supposed to be much smaller than OGL ones but it's in the same ballpark. Is it because of all the generic Gallium3D/Mesa code?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        I don't understand, I thought Vulkan drivers were supposed to be much smaller than OGL ones but it's in the same ballpark. Is it because of all the generic Gallium3D/Mesa code?
        RadeonSI only implements Gallium, which is a relatively thin API itself (although higher level than Vulkan). If you look at the code that does the OpenGL -> Gallium translation, you can add another 300k lines of code to the equation - although to be fair, you'd also need to add another ~60k to RADV for SPIR-V->NIR and NIR itself.

Comment

AMD already posted the source code?

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
            RadeonSI only implements Gallium, which is a relatively thin API itself (although higher level than Vulkan). If you look at the code that does the OpenGL -> Gallium translation, you can add another 300k lines of code to the equation - although to be fair, you'd also need to add another ~60k to RADV for SPIR-V->NIR and NIR itself.
            Ok that makes sense, thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X