Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RADV Vulkan Driver Is Shy Of 40,000 Lines Of Code

Phoronix: The RADV Vulkan Driver Is Shy Of 40,000 Lines Of Code

It remains to be seen how exactly the situation will play out with the existing open-source RADV Vulkan driver that's in the Mesa tree and AMD's to-be-opened "Radeon Open Vulkan" driver that is the company's official Vulkan driver. At least though Vulkan drivers are lighter and less maintenance than OpenGL drivers...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...2017-Code-Size

You also totally forgot to mention NIR

Comment

I don't understand, I thought Vulkan drivers were supposed to be much smaller than OGL ones but it's in the same ballpark. Is it because of all the generic Gallium3D/Mesa code?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
        I don't understand, I thought Vulkan drivers were supposed to be much smaller than OGL ones but it's in the same ballpark. Is it because of all the generic Gallium3D/Mesa code?
        RadeonSI only implements Gallium, which is a relatively thin API itself (although higher level than Vulkan). If you look at the code that does the OpenGL -> Gallium translation, you can add another 300k lines of code to the equation - although to be fair, you'd also need to add another ~60k to RADV for SPIR-V->NIR and NIR itself.

Comment

AMD already posted the source code?

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
            RadeonSI only implements Gallium, which is a relatively thin API itself (although higher level than Vulkan). If you look at the code that does the OpenGL -> Gallium translation, you can add another 300k lines of code to the equation - although to be fair, you'd also need to add another ~60k to RADV for SPIR-V->NIR and NIR itself.
            Ok that makes sense, thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X