No announcement yet.

RADV Vulkan Driver Now Has Working Support For Radeon RX Vega GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking for decent overclocking capabilities under linux without needing to flash the bios is asking too much?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
      The firmware protection is already cracked and people have been successfully flashing Vega 64 firmware onto 56 cards, which apparently doesn't unlock any shader units, but it does raise the power limit to the same level as the 64, which should be safe to do because they both have identical, and very beefy VRM. Performance does increase noticeably and gets close to the 64 despite no unlocked shader units. Looks like the power limit is the biggest bottleneck on the Vega 56.
      Ah that's good news then. I didn't think it would be that easy. Good to know though.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Asking for decent overclocking capabilities under linux without needing to flash the bios is asking too much?
        My solution was to always flash the vbios. Stopped doing it after Polaris due to locked vbios (guess it has changed by now). Mostly I used to do it for fan control, since I never liked the default fan curve on any card and software solutions were always lacking.
        On my current Polaris I use radeon-profile https://github.com/marazmista/radeon-profile
        Coupled with a recent kernel it allows basic fan control and limited overclocking/underclocking.

Comment

To my knowledge, there is no way to enable a custom V-BIOS on Vega cards. You can only use existing ones and transfer them. But I've heard from an overclocker (buildzoid), that there is a overwrite for Linux to apply new values after start. This is the solution I search for.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            I am amazed beyond anything else that 2 people on their own brought up and maintain a Vulkan driver
            it amazes you because it is your fantasy

Comment

Originally posted by Shevchen View Post
              But I've heard from an overclocker (buildzoid), that there is a overwrite for Linux to apply new values after start. This is the solution I search for.
              Can you please give me more info?
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

To my knowledge, there is no way to enable a custom V-BIOS on Vega cards. You can only use existing ones and transfer them. But I've heard from an overclocker (buildzoid), that there is a overwrite for Linux to apply new values after start. This is the solution I search for.
                I have not kept up with the whole vbios modification scene, but last I checked you could only flash to existing vbios files, like you wrote, or do some modifications along with a hacked driver.

Comment

Can you please give me more info?
                  Yes, I watched his video here - and thats all I know about it: (interesting part at 3:00 mins in)

Comment

Yes, I watched his video here - and thats all I know about it: (interesting part at 3:00 mins in)
                    So I guess my question about this is, what's up with the modified bios that the linux kernel loads that he's talking about?

Comment

I hear you. What those scummy AMD people really need to do is start supporting open source kernel drivers, so changes could be made at driver level rather than having to reflash the VBIOS.

Seriously, why is anyone talking about flashing VBIOS these days other than the fact someone figured out the details for VBIOS clock/voltage manipulation years ago and nobody has apparently done the same with the drivers ?
                      Last edited by bridgman; 06 September 2017, 05:44 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X