X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of taking up less space:

Test signature

Comment

And most Germans never master their language. ;-)

And regarding to what I read here very often I remember my English teacher (a Scotsman) saying: "There is one world language - bad English".

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

i will explain it to you on the word "Kindergarden"

one can say: there is a garden with children ... this means any kind of garden with children in it.

but kindergarden does not mean any garden with children in it it means a central constitution a central meeting point and most of the time a village has only 1 single kindergarden in the center of the village. so it is a central point of society. compared to this there could be many gardens with children in it.

and the germans most of the time use long words like this to highlight something important as a central point.

if germans use the sentence version it mostly means something less important.
        In that, the Arabic language is the most rich language. you can find different synonyms with different meanings for each occasion, that won't conflict with others.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
          This code drop for DC is an enormous untertaking, and not in any way equivalent to backporting support for RX480/580 to the 4.4 kernel so people could run those GPU's in opensuse 42.3.

But.... do you (bridgeman?) think that there is enough preparatory work happening for 4.14 that it is feasible that a full Vega open-source stack might be backported to 4.14, even if it initially arrives only with 4.15?

It seems like a valuable question to ask, as both Ubuntu and Suse have new LTS releases arriving in April 2018 which will be using kernel 4.14 for the [long] term, i.e. probably four years!
          hmmm, interesting question, JBT!

#backontopic

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            As I said earlier, there were real concerns raised at the start about naming but now the "name change" is more of an occasional running joke complete with smiley emoticon
            I get the distinct feeling that this name change fiasco is going to end the same way as when Prince tried to change his name to a symbol that didn't even have a proper name. The end result of that was that people would just call him "the artist previously known as Price" or "the artist" until he grew sick of it and just changed his name back.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            Are you disagreeing with me or just trying to give me a German lesson? I genuinely can't tell.

As I said, other languages like Finnish allow you to string together words into monstrosities like "panssarimiehistönkuljetusvaunu", but us Finns generally tend to shy away from overdoing it by stringing together 3 or more words because of how tedious it gets to read text with monstrosities like that.

If you really want to talk about compactness Finnish really takes the cake in that regard. You see in the Finnish language suffixes don't just convey a lot, they can also be strung together to give even further meaning to single words, making the deeper intricacies of the language mindbogglingly difficult for foreigners to learn. The most known example of this is the single word "juoksentelisinkohan?" which roughly translates to English as "Wonder if I should run around without any particular purpose?"
            Last edited by L_A_G; 18 August 2017, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              I get the distinct feeling that this name change fiasco is going to end the same way as when Prince tried to change his name to a symbol that didn't even have a proper name. The end result of that was that people would just call him "the artist previously known as Price" or "the artist" until he grew sick of it and just changed his name back.
              Yes, that was the inspiration for "the display code formerly known as DAL/DC"... once the code is structured in an acceptable way nobody is likely to care what we call it.
              Last edited by bridgman; 19 August 2017, 08:12 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

L_A_G : the difference is that Prince was forced to come up with some shit like this ("lovesymbol", "artist formely known", etc.) due to being legally bound to his former record label and their draconian and asinine contracts. (i.e.: circumventing clauses forbidding him to release any music under the brand "Prince" under a different record label, or using any othername. "okay, then let's use a non-name to get around this clause and break free").

He was still Prince, he just wasn't allowed to call himself this way outside of the former label.

Whereas DAL is more in the tree/forest joke.

Comment

Working...
                X