Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying amd-staging-drm-next With The Radeon RX Vega

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying amd-staging-drm-next With The Radeon RX Vega

    Phoronix: Trying amd-staging-drm-next With The Radeon RX Vega

    With my Radeon RX Vega benchmarks so far this week I have been using the amd-staging-4.12 tree that contains the DC display code and Vega support. Though even with fresher code is amd-staging-drm-next, so here are some benchmarks...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-drm-next-vega

  • #2
    Please check that you have the drm-misc-next in the kernel you tested with, see the PR sent out agd5f


    Hi Dave, More features for 4.14. Nothing too major here. I have a few more additional patches for large page support in vega10 among other things, but they require some resevation object patches from drm-misc-next, so I'll send that request once you've pulled the latest drm-misc-next. Highlights: ....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
      Please check that you have the drm-misc-next in the kernel you tested with, see the PR sent out agd5f
      drm-next-4.14-wip, amd-staging-4.12, and amd-staging-drm-next have the relevant reservation changes. Those changes just go upstream via a different tree than mine.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by agd5f View Post

        drm-next-4.14-wip, amd-staging-4.12, and amd-staging-drm-next have the relevant reservation changes. Those changes just go upstream via a different tree than mine.
        agd5f There is hardly any change in performance from what I can see, is that expected?
        Considering that you guys at AMD have been kind of talking up the feature I expected something else.

        Comment


        • #5
          AFAIK Michael's initial tests of the all-open driver on Vega included large page support, so unless you were running Vega with older upstream previously you would not see a difference.

          2M page support has not yet arrived in the AMDGPU-PRO or ROCm stacks though.

          EDIT - fhuberts which feature are you talking about ? I initially thought 2M page support but reading agd5f's response that you quoted I'm not so sure...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by fhuberts View Post

            agd5f There is hardly any change in performance from what I can see, is that expected?
            Considering that you guys at AMD have been kind of talking up the feature I expected something else.
            As I said before, drm-next-4.14-wip, amd-staging-4.12, and amd-staging-drm-next all have the relevant changes. there shouldn't be any difference between them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              AFAIK Michael's initial tests of the all-open driver on Vega included large page support, so unless you were running Vega with older upstream previously you would not see a difference.

              2M page support has not yet arrived in the AMDGPU-PRO or ROCm stacks though.

              EDIT - fhuberts which feature are you talking about ? I initially thought 2M page support but reading agd5f's response that you quoted I'm not so sure...
              bridgman
              I mean the 2M page support.

              Comment


              • #8
                bridgman agd5f arjan_intel

                Can anyone explain me the difference between drm-next-4.14-wip and (linux-)drm-tip?

                Intel says to use it to reproduce bugs, so I'm maintaining an orphan package (my first package...)

                The reason to use it: Intel Linux Graphics's How to file a bug report recommends to reproduce the bug found there (and also many other things, like adding a boot option, etc).

                I adopted this previously orphaned package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-drm-tip-git/

                If you wish, you and all others are invited to discuss in the following forum thread. It requires another registration, but I think devs from all graphics platforms would assist to Archlinux users a lot. Please join and reply, at least a bit..

                Arch Discussion: mesa-git - latest videodrivers & issues

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Can anyone explain me the difference between drm-next-4.14-wip and (linux-)drm-tip?
                  I had not heard of the drm-tip tree before, so copying it up from the Intel docco...

                  https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-tip

                  At first glance it appears to be the Intel equivalent of our drm-next-4.14(-wip) tree but containing latest Intel bits rather than latest AMD bits. I'm not sure if it is the tree that is used in drm-next pull requests going to Dave though... so might leave the rest of the question for someone from Intel.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

                    I had not heard of the drm-tip tree before, so copying it up from the Intel docco...

                    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-tip

                    At first glance it appears to be the Intel equivalent of our drm-next-4.14(-wip) tree but containing latest Intel bits rather than latest AMD bits. I'm not sure if it is the tree that is used in drm-next pull requests going to Dave though... so might leave the rest of the question for someone from Intel.
                    Thanks a lot for your reply! You are polite even to your competence

                    To who? What invocation do I have for receive a response from an Intel guru? What spell must I do?

                    Would it be possible to do drm-next-tip-ultimate-overninethousand? Featuring all the latest from each driver.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X