Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying amd-staging-drm-next With The Radeon RX Vega

Phoronix: Trying amd-staging-drm-next With The Radeon RX Vega

With my Radeon RX Vega benchmarks so far this week I have been using the amd-staging-4.12 tree that contains the DC display code and Vega support. Though even with fresher code is amd-staging-drm-next, so here are some benchmarks...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-drm-next-vega

Please check that you have the drm-misc-next in the kernel you tested with, see the PR sent out agd5f

Hi Dave, More features for 4.14. Nothing too major here. I have a few more additional patches for large page support in vega10 among other things, but they require some resevation object patches from drm-misc-next, so I'll send that request once you've pulled the latest drm-misc-next. Highlights: ....

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
      Please check that you have the drm-misc-next in the kernel you tested with, see the PR sent out agd5f
      drm-next-4.14-wip, amd-staging-4.12, and amd-staging-drm-next have the relevant reservation changes. Those changes just go upstream via a different tree than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

drm-next-4.14-wip, amd-staging-4.12, and amd-staging-drm-next have the relevant reservation changes. Those changes just go upstream via a different tree than mine.
        agd5f There is hardly any change in performance from what I can see, is that expected?
        Considering that you guys at AMD have been kind of talking up the feature I expected something else.

Comment

AFAIK Michael's initial tests of the all-open driver on Vega included large page support, so unless you were running Vega with older upstream previously you would not see a difference.

2M page support has not yet arrived in the AMDGPU-PRO or ROCm stacks though.

EDIT - fhuberts which feature are you talking about ? I initially thought 2M page support but reading agd5f's response that you quoted I'm not so sure...

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post

agd5f There is hardly any change in performance from what I can see, is that expected?
            Considering that you guys at AMD have been kind of talking up the feature I expected something else.
            As I said before, drm-next-4.14-wip, amd-staging-4.12, and amd-staging-drm-next all have the relevant changes. there shouldn't be any difference between them.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              AFAIK Michael's initial tests of the all-open driver on Vega included large page support, so unless you were running Vega with older upstream previously you would not see a difference.

2M page support has not yet arrived in the AMDGPU-PRO or ROCm stacks though.

EDIT - fhuberts which feature are you talking about ? I initially thought 2M page support but reading agd5f's response that you quoted I'm not so sure...
              bridgman
              I mean the 2M page support.

Comment

bridgman agd5f arjan_intel

Can anyone explain me the difference between drm-next-4.14-wip and (linux-)drm-tip?

Intel says to use it to reproduce bugs, so I'm maintaining an orphan package (my first package...)

The reason to use it: Intel Linux Graphics's How to file a bug report recommends to reproduce the bug found there (and also many other things, like adding a boot option, etc).

I adopted this previously orphaned package: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-drm-tip-git/

If you wish, you and all others are invited to discuss in the following forum thread. It requires another registration, but I think devs from all graphics platforms would assist to Archlinux users a lot. Please join and reply, at least a bit..

Arch Discussion: mesa-git - latest videodrivers & issues

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  Can anyone explain me the difference between drm-next-4.14-wip and (linux-)drm-tip?
                  I had not heard of the drm-tip tree before, so copying it up from the Intel docco...

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-tip

At first glance it appears to be the Intel equivalent of our drm-next-4.14(-wip) tree but containing latest Intel bits rather than latest AMD bits. I'm not sure if it is the tree that is used in drm-next pull requests going to Dave though... so might leave the rest of the question for someone from Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I had not heard of the drm-tip tree before, so copying it up from the Intel docco...

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/drm-tip

At first glance it appears to be the Intel equivalent of our drm-next-4.14(-wip) tree but containing latest Intel bits rather than latest AMD bits. I'm not sure if it is the tree that is used in drm-next pull requests going to Dave though... so might leave the rest of the question for someone from Intel.
                    Thanks a lot for your reply! You are polite even to your competence

To who? What invocation do I have for receive a response from an Intel guru? What spell must I do?

Would it be possible to do drm-next-tip-ultimate-overninethousand? Featuring all the latest from each driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X