Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Benchmarks Showing How Gallium3D With RX Vega Smacks AMDGPU-PRO's OpenGL Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mphuZ
    replied
    I have a suggestion to Michael and others: maybe it's time to raise the bar ?

I mean, that's already clear to everyone that the Pro-driver is behind the open-source.
    Can now start to do more tests "Windows (DX11/OGL) vs Linux" and not "Pro vs Open Source" ? You need to set a new bar and achieve it!
    Naturally, Pro-drivers can continue to use temporarily during the test of the Vulkan, but how long will it last ?

So I want some survey for the tests "Windows vs Linux". It will be intriguing!

Leave a comment:

• sheepdestroyer
    replied
    Originally posted by haagch View Post
    Also swr (openswr). It's supposed to scale better with more threads, right?
    Also interesting : it should make use of AVX512 (or not yet?) And that would give us an idea of what project Larrabee could have looked like

Leave a comment:

• haagch
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Oh yes, already been planning on it!
    Also swr (openswr). It's supposed to scale better with more threads, right?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post

You could use it for hosting Phoronix, so the site doesn't slow to a crawl/crash every time AMD releases something.
    The latest code updates should fix that for the future.... Phoronix is already running off dual Xeons, OpenBenchmarking.org on another pair of dual Xeons, all in a data center...

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

I was told a week ago I would end up getting Epyc and Threadripper, though I am still waiting... Hopefully coming soon... Have a 40 core / 80 thread Intel box coming this week that wants some competition.
    You could use it for hosting Phoronix, so the site doesn't slow to a crawl/crash every time AMD releases something.

Leave a comment:

• valeriodean
    replied
    Originally posted by Khudsa View Post
    Mmmm Vega will be a perfect match for my system. When the display code get merged it will be a great buy.
    Indeed. Anyway, WOW. The open driver humiliated the closed one so badly. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Khudsa
    replied
    Mmmm Vega will be a perfect match for my system. When the display code get merged it will be a great buy.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricPrism
    replied
    Seeing "DISK" in the Phoronix Terminal feels archaic.

Like what year is it where data is stored on circular flat media

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    I just read the article on Vega 56 on semiaccurate. They mentioned that multi monitor setup power consumption dropped very nicely. That's another interesting point to the Vega hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Shevchen
    replied
    Phoronix is kinda well known on the other hardware-sites, so people do know that the Linux drivers are in very good shape and people start looking at Linux, with some peeps here and there trying it out. Of course, the relative number of people using Linux will stay rather low, but it helps.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Funny how Vega performs so well in Phoronix benchmarks (also Blender etc), but most gaming sites are complaining how bigly the release failed. Apparently the gamers aren't pairing Threadrippers with Vega and perhaps 64 to 128 GB of RAM.
    Threadripper sees a pretty hefty dependency on optimized games. Well written ones that can be called a "tech demo" like AotS profit from more cores, poorly optimized ones like GTA V suffer from it.

The difference in performance between games has become pretty huge - even between AAA games. As it stands, it looks pretty good for games optimized for "many" cores coupled with async compute and all the fancy stuff AMD talked about.

The disadvantage of this is, that the gaming industry needs to hire more engine-coding guys in order to take advantage of all the new tech - and we kind of know how happy the industry is about that. (looking at you Ubisoft and EA)

Hopefully, Bethesda will kickstart a new optimization cycle in the AAA-industry.

In any case: Great results. I'm eagerly awaiting 1080 Ti performance of the RX Vega on Linux. Once that hits, its time for me to buy a new (Freesync) monitor.

​​​​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X