No announcement yet.

The UVD/UVD2 thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I think I see the problem; the German text is kind of misleading. It mixes discussion of the R600 (which does not have UVD) with the rest of the HD2xx family (which does have UVD). The first time I read it I also thought it was saying that Avivo HD acceleration was done on the stream processors, but what it's *trying* to say is that decode acceleration is done on the stream processors for HD2900 but is done in UVD for the rest of the HD2xxx family.

The UVD parts do make heavy use of the shaders during video playback (and we are able to keep power consumption very low), but the work done on the shaders is mostly post-decode processing; filtering, colour space conversion, de-interlacing etc...
    Test signature

Comment

Yeah, that's my PM box's normal state. I made some room, not sure how long it will last though...
      Test signature

Comment

@bridgman: Kudos to you for being present in these fora, but crikey, you're not actually saying anything! UVD/UVD2 is *still* not available for use by real people, while nvidia is, frankly, kicking your arse with VDPAU.

I still have my 780G mobo in a usable state, but it's gathering dust until you guys produce something tangible. In the meantime, I and several other people I've advised, are enjoying our nvidia-based home theatre (and believe me, the closed-source aspect isn't making us lose sleep).

Your lack of concrete progress has led to me thinking of AMD/ATI as a vapourware store... and believe me, it makes me quite unhappy to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          in the end UVD only Copy Protects and DRM (the bad one not the direkt rendering manager)!
          Did you even bother reading Bridgeman's reply?

The UVD parts do make heavy use of the shaders during video playback (and we are able to keep power consumption very low), but the work done on the shaders is mostly post-decode processing; filtering, colour space conversion, de-interlacing etc...
          Which I touched on:

So where does openCL and kin all fit in to video? It's more suited for loads that can truly benefit the massive data parallelism that can offer. Such video applications that can benefit from that are jobs like encoding, transcoding, filtering and effects in real-time for example.
          you are so Little Boy the Blueray Copyprotection is finaly down!

Ani-DVD and the first opensource code crack this shit witout brute force!
          BTW AnyDVD does not crack the encryption key. They use a exploit by poking in the memory and then ads the key to their application. This is why every time the key changes AnyDVD requires an update. Also for the record I don't own nor do I have any intention of getting BluRay. It was a dead tech the day it debuted.
          Last edited by deanjo; 21 April 2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Did you see any UVD2 (libamdxvba1) programming examples? I never saw those, but I use VDPAU since serveral month. Currently my CPUs are so fast that I don't need VDPAU anymore on the systems which would support it (Intel Q9300@3GHz or E8400), but before 1080p was really much better with it. AMD waits so long that they could sell cpus instead of gpus as well. After 1-2 years nobody will need h264 accelleration when the minium speed is about 3 ghz for a 50$ cpu.

Comment

@Qaridarium- here's an English lesson for you: ending EVERY sentence with an exclamation point becomes extremely annoying. It makes you look over-excitable, like a badly behaved dog.

Comment

thats not true!... any dvd found the master key ... so ALL future Released Blueray dvd's are cracket down!

and in the doom9 forum there are the first opensource code!

anydvd is no longer needed the copyprotection is down! like DECSS!
                The "master key" changes regularly. This is why updates to BluRay players are frequently needed as new releases come out.

Comment

the mechanism to chance the master key is cracked!

in the end they can't chance the key becourse all key's are hacked!
                  They are reading the memory address, they are not cracking the key. Big difference.

Comment

Theora YES dirac YES.. but i think the opensource driver will never ever handel mpeg2 or h264 becourse in the USA software patends kills this !

and H264 has a lot of this software patend shit!
                    A Dirac GPGPU solution has been out for a while now..... guess what..... it sucks power like no tomorrow. As does CoreAVC's Cuda implementation.

Comment

It does not matter for me if you use amd or intel cpus, but when the cheap cpus are able to decode 1080p then why would you buy a dedicated gfx chip which could do the same? Then you could stay with standard chips as long as they provide at least xv.

Comment

Working...
                      X