No announcement yet.

The UVD/UVD2 thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always had the same issue. I had a mythtv frontend with an ATI integrated 1250. Recordings were all MPEG2, both HD and SD. Everything played back perfectly on my 720p TV. I replaced that one with a 1080p set and it became unwatchable (same recordings). I even tried it on a spare R300 card I had, same thing. Anything scaled to 1080p was completely unwatchable. Didn't matter if the recording was 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. If I changed the output resolution to 720p, everything played back fine. I spent hours messing around with the settings using just about every combo possible (texturedvideo, opengl, mythtv playback settings, deinterlacing, etc). Nothing was even close to watchable. I had another frontend with an NVIDIA card that was used on a 720p set. I swapped that with the R300, so I now have the NVIDIA card in the 1080p frontend, and the ATI in the 720p frontend. Everything is working fine, except I'd prefer to be able to use the integrated card. Every once in a while, I'll try the latest ATI driver and switch back to the integrated card to see if it's been resolved. The last time I tried, I think was November, and it still had the same issue.

Comment

That's interesting. The R300 should have no shortage of bandwidth and shader power, and CPU activity should have zero effect on the the scaling throughput.

If you're seeing this on discrete cards as well it should be easy to reproduce in house.
      Test signature

Comment

Oh, gods... is it still theoretically possible that we'll be seeing UVD2 open specifications? I don't even know if you can answer this, but... Bridgman, was it the UVD that was sold? (UVD is directly derived from the MIPS-based Xilleon, right?)

All the latest Broadcom news -- product and financial -- can be found in the Broadcom newsroom.

Is it possible (at least on Microsoft Windows) to power off/suspend/kill the UVD block?

Comment

Without going into details, the sale does not affect our ability to provide UVDn docco for open source development. It does mean we need to be *very* careful when looking at whether or not it is safe to provide the info, but that isn't really anything new

I don't know whether UVD can be powered down. I imagine it has clock gating, probably automatic, but will find out as we start to dig into the block over the next couple of months.
          Test signature

Comment

Thank you so much Bridgman, for your exhaustive replies on these forums and continuous efforts on free and open software.

I was wondering whether UVD could be powered down, in case it would result useless by lack of open specifications, as it's expected to be embedded in the next hoard of AMD-based notebooks, one of which will be mine.

Now I'm kind of relieved.

Comment

Hey, bridgman, what about the 1080p slowdown?

Comment

Any news on when UVD will be supported in fglrx? Currently using:
                AMD 5000+ X2
                Radeon HD2400
                2 GB ram

Playback of any mpeg2/divx/xvid codecs is fine, and can be scaled up to 1920x1080 without any jerkiness.

However, when playing BR rip with H.264/AVC codec 1080p or even 720p, picture becomes jerky and top shows that mplayer is using 100% CPU. Would be great if the decoding can be offloaded to the GPU. And yes, already using xv option for mplayer.

Comment

there doesnt seem to be anything UVD related here or anywere, but theres plenty of non UVD daily news of late...

" Gwenol? Beauchesne gbeauchesne at ......com
                  Thu Jan 29 17:01:18 CET 2009

Previous message: [FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] h264.c: space fix
                  Next message: [FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH][0/8] VA API patches summary
                  Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

The upcoming patches add VA API support to FFmpeg. They rely on libVA
                  changes that are not upstream yet, though the maintainer agreed to
                  integrate them for a future release. Those changes are actually
                  extensions (new fields) to suit the needs of XvBA and VDPAU backends.
                  You can get the current libVA patchset here: .....
                  "

Comment

Is it now possible to use UVD/VAAPI/whatever video acceleration with Ubuntu?

Comment

Last I heard UVD was not going to be available for fglrx. They would instead push XvBA as a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                      X