Updated AMDGPU-PRO Driver Has Performance Fixes, Mad Max Works On Vulkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by humbug View Post
    Now the challenge for AMD is that not only is RadV already shipping in popular distros but development work has accelerated with more manpower and Valve has started paying people to work on it full time etc. So AMD needs to make sure that their driver has nicer code, remains faster, more conformant, supports more hardware than RadV etc so that it will get accepted upstream when it is open sourced. They have to usurp RadV.
    There is no challenge, as there is no upstream and there is no need to get it accepted anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by werfu View Post

Support for Southern Island is supposed to be there since version 16.50 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-relive&num=1), but I haven't tried it yet,
      Not for all souther island models. R9 280 X support, for example, is also still missing.

Comment

I accidentally started SteamVR with Vulkan from amdgpu-pro yesterday. The steamvr compositor, the steam library in VR and the desktop view work - SteamVR Home and all SteamVR applications do not.

I think for SteamVR support they would only need the external memory and the semaphore extension. Even when the developers are concentrating on SteamVR for radv now, I don't think this would take much time to at least get working.

Comment

AMD is working on VR support for AMDGPU-PRO and we're working with them on it, not focused on radv.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            I think the Linux Community (radv) do not even want the AMDGPU-PRO vulkan code anymore LOL
            I think that simple 'DDX+VK' entirely separated from Mesa would make Linux Community exaulted and users happy Ideally that was better to be initial VK push from AMD, year and near half ago in blob form of course....

But who cares about users if LC is happy, really LC like DC as that represent very similar abstracted layered community , really abstracted or you should name these, and well of course that should not be easely also be accepted upstream

That was obvious stinky, on one hand not accepting abstraction as is but in the same time more bloat downthere is considered fine ... who are they think kidding at , that is kind of Big Fat Fresh Stinky BullShit. I think that what you call Linux Community is exactly something separted from its users, total not in touch... so i think majority of users think of this - hey, who cares about both i would do nvidia as always or switch to windows or well bsd if opensource is so desired or so

Total bullshit, AMD devs even take it as normal users to build their out of tree modules... so what is the point of kernel, it is easier to just disable that glorious bullshit from the kernel and use something else anyway
            Last edited by dungeon; 16 June 2017, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Plagman View Post
              AMD is working on VR support for AMDGPU-PRO and we're working with them on it, not focused on radv.
              Cool. I didn't read anything about this yet, so that's nice. I assume then that the SteamVR compositor started working at all on amdgpu-pro is progress that came from this effort.

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              I think the Linux Community (radv) do not even want the AMDGPU-PRO vulkan code anymore LOL
              I think radv will outperform the amdgpu-pro vulkan driver faster amd can release the code as opensource.
              Everyone is rooting for radv, but at the moment it leaves a lot to be desired.
              Look at this recent comparison of Doom with radv vs amdgpu-pro: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...mance_in_doom/
              Both CPU and GPU times are about twice as high on radv than on amdgpu-pro. I'm hoping that with SteamVR (e.g. SteamVR home) we can see similar performance differences, because as of now SteamVR Home takes really long rendertimes on the GPU: https://i.imgur.com/m5mv3wW.png (like in the top CPU graph, the bottom GPU graph should have everything below 11ms / the red line).

Obviously radv will mature and will hopefully have even better performance than amdgpu-pro, but at the moment it is far from that and it's a bit unclear how soon it will be at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                For Vulkan, our focus is on the AMD vulkan driver which will be open sourced eventually.
                Seems like the open-source RADV driver is already working quite well, so I can't say I'm holding my breath for AMD to open-source their Vulkan driver.

Comment

Just want to note, that amdgpu-pro 17.10 works fine on R9 270 on 16.04.2. It's not officially supported. The OpenCL (!) and OpenGL works fine, didn't test Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    That was obvious stinky, on one hand not accepting abstraction as is but in the same time more bloat downthere is considered fine ... who are they think kidding at , that is kind of Big Fat Fresh Stinky BullShit. I think that what you call Linux Community is exactly something separted from its users, total not in touch... so i think majority of users think of this - hey, who cares about both i would do nvidia as always or switch to windows or well bsd if opensource is so desired or so

Total bullshit, AMD devs even take it as normal users to build their out of tree modules... so what is the point of kernel, it is easier to just disable that glorious bullshit from the kernel and use something else anyway
                    I am extremely tired of your pointless, inflammatory posts that bring nothing to the discussion. Michael should seriously consider banning you from this forum, as your toxic behavior has been called out already in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Pholostan View Post
                      Seems like the open-source RADV driver is already working quite well, so I can't say I'm holding my breath for AMD to open-source their Vulkan driver.
                      Probably wise. Major open sourcing efforts like the one for our Vulkan driver typically take months or years, but you really should be breathing every few seconds to stay healthy.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X