Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCN 1.0 intel/amd graphics setup on opensource drivers

Hi all,

since I'm starting to lose any hope in having closed source (AMDGPU-PRO) support for my graphics setup, I would like to ask for ideas on what would be the best configuration on opensource (RADEON) drivers. So here it is:

HW: Intel HD5500+AMD FirePro m4150 (same graphics chip as the Radeon R7 m260x, Opal Pro GCN 1.0, mobile Oland family)
    lspci -nn output: VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Opal PRO [Radeon R7 M260] [1002:6605] (rev ff)

Suggestions welcome on:
    -which OS (possibly Ubuntu- or Debian-based), DE, compositor to use for best/most stable PRIME offloading performance;
    -what (eventual) xorg.conf (or similar) configuration is the most suitable for the above choice.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to compile custom kernels or stuff like that, and stability for me matters the most against raw performance (I don't care at all about gaming).

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

V.

Unless you are running FirePro hardware you should generally be using the open source stack anyways, so "losing hope" is not the best way to look at things.

How far have you gone so far w.r.t. running PRIME on your configuration ? Do you have it working but with specific problems, or are you trying to get it going for the first time ?
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Unless you are running FirePro hardware you should generally be using the open source stack anyways, so "losing hope" is not the best way to look at things.
      Well, as you can see from the hardware description in the previous post I actually AM a FirePro user (FirePro m4150, HP Zbook 14 G2 mobile workstation bought in february 2015)...But the thing is not in the FirePro stuff by itself, the thing is that I use that GPU for work, with CAD/CAM/Scientific visualization software (mostly OpenGL based) and for now closed source drivers are the only ones that have always worked, whichever the application.

How far have you gone so far w.r.t. running PRIME on your configuration ? Do you have it working but with specific problems, or are you trying to get it going for the first time ?
      I have (seriously) tried PRIME two times:

1) Xubuntu 14.04.3, 3.19 kernel, mesa 10.5.9: was just a no-go, whichever the application (all extremely unstable except for glxgears...);

2) Ubuntu 16.04.1, 4.4 kernel, mesa 12.0.6: had some success with one of the applications (Paraview software), definitely more stable as a whole compared to attempt 1 but all the other applications are still unusable (e. g. extreme screen tearing or broken zooming in/out).

But, still, problem is not ONLY in PRIME offloading, it seems more like opensource drivers are just not tested with engineering/visualization softwares. Regarding this, I had mixed results even with the Intel iGPU: general desktop experience is always good but, jumping from one kernel+mesa combination to another, softwares that worked with combination A just stopped working (immediate crash at opening...) with combination B...

V.

Comment

Originally posted by vkrastev View Post
        Well, as you can see from the hardware description in the previous post I actually AM a FirePro user (FirePro m4150, HP Zbook 14 G2 mobile workstation bought in february 2015)...
        D'oh !! Sorry, I completely missed that.

Originally posted by vkrastev View Post
        But the thing is not in the FirePro stuff by itself, the thing is that I use that GPU for work, with CAD/CAM/Scientific visualization software (mostly OpenGL based) and for now closed source drivers are the only ones that have always worked, whichever the application.
        Yep, makes sense.

If you don't mind please let me start over. Looking at the support statement for the latest -PRO driver what I think I'm seeing is a lot of cards but no mobile parts... I hadn't noticed that before. I'll ask around and see what the plans are for mobile FirePRO.
        Test signature

Comment

D'oh !! Sorry, I completely missed that.
          No problem, I understand you cannot be reading word by word every single AMD graphics related post in the forum.

If you don't mind please let me start over. Looking at the support statement for the latest -PRO driver what I think I'm seeing is a lot of cards but no mobile parts... I hadn't noticed that before. I'll ask around and see what the plans are for mobile FirePRO.
          I don't mind at all, as I said any help on this matter is highly appreciated. You will notice that in the currently supported products list there are some GCN 1.0 non-FirePro mobile chips (e. g. R7 m260/m265), but unfortunately not the one my FirePro is based on (R7 m260x). My understanding (I might be wrong, of course) is that once support for the "baseline" radeon chip is shipped it shouldn't be that much difficult to add support for the FirePro derivative. Anyway, waiting for additional info from you.

Thanks

V.
          Last edited by vkrastev; 10 April 2017, 03:58 AM.

Comment

I'll ask around and see what the plans are for mobile FirePRO.
            Any news?

V.

Comment

Note that PX/hybrid laptops do not use the standard prime interfaces with the PRO stack due to the fact that mesa and the closed source AMD OGL driver have different LIBGLs. The Pro driver uses a static configuration via the xorg config to select which GPU is "active".

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                Note that PX/hybrid laptops do not use the standard prime interfaces with the PRO stack due to the fact that mesa and the closed source AMD OGL driver have different LIBGLs. The Pro driver uses a static configuration via the xorg config to select which GPU is "active".
                Thanks for the reply,

but I already know that. My PRIME attempts were made with the full-open stack (radeon kernel driver), while I tried static switching (via the amdgpu-pro-px script + reboot) with the -PRO driver. I had a somewhat "working" sistem with PRIME+open stack (but actually useless with most of my production software), while the -PRO driver attempts (16.60 and 17.10) were a complete failure. The latter was kind of expected since my product (FirePro m4150 or at least Radeon R7 m260x, which is the hardware basis for the m4150) is not in the supported products list for the current -PRO release. The problem is that, as I stated above:

1) I need OpenGL drivers for my job (NOT for gaming) and till now only closed source drivers have always worked in that sense (thought I have to admit that my experiments with the open stack were not very extensive);
                2) my card is currently supported only by fglrx, and it is completely unclear if things are likely to change in the future (which is kind of frustrating, since I bought the laptop in 2015, not in 2010...And in 2016 even newer laptops were out with GCN-1.0 mobile FirePro hardware...).

I'm waiting for Bridgman to share some light about eventual plans for -PRO mobile hardware support, If you are able to help in any way you are very welcome.

V.

Comment

I'll ask around and see what the plans are for mobile FirePRO.
                  I guess you don't have any news yet, this is just to remind you that I'm still HIGHLY interested in that topic.

Thanks

V.

Comment

With recent enough kernel and DRI3's DRI_PRIME you should have perfect support (no tears or other issues)

Comment

Working...
                    X