No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 Released With Ubuntu 16.04.2 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, bridgman is keeping silent on my case, no surprise though.

For the record: I've tried to make it the easy way (made ebuild to pull in the opencl libs from amdgpu-pro) and failed. Every userland app (clinfo etc.) just segfaults...
    Quite predictable, for I lack knowledge to do it the right way. Maybe I should try to ask for help @ gentoo forums as the last remedy.
    debianxfce: I appreciate your help but choosing Gentoo was a conscious decision -- I don't want to discuss my reasons here as it's obvious off-topic to this thread. Thanx again!

Comment

Originally posted by kanyck View Post
      Okay, bridgman is keeping silent on my case, no surprise though.
      Sorry, bridgman was on vacation for most of the last two weeks and off the grid most of that time (driving to Idaho and back).

OK, first thing I don't understand is your comment about amdgpu-pro not supporting the 7770 - my understanding was that Cape Verde was pretty much the first of the SI generation parts to be supported.

Have you tried amdgpu-pro on a directly supported distro or are you basically stuck until it gets packaged up for Gentoo ? Have you tried the instructions at the end of this post ?

Not sure why asking for support on the gentoo forums would be last resort - it would be the first thing I would do:

https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross...mdgpuprogentoo
      Last edited by bridgman; 30 April 2017, 04:06 PM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

bridgman was on vacation for most of the last two weeks and off the grid most of that time (driving to Idaho and back).
        Hope you've enjoyed your vacation and ready to help users suffering from lack of opencl so much!

OK, first thing I don't understand is your comment about amdgpu-pro not supporting the 7770 - my understanding was that Cape Verde was pretty much the first of the SI generation parts to be supported.
        As far as I understood from Phoronix articles GCN 1.0 was firstly introduced in 16.60 and marked highly experimental yet. The another tread here (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...108#post933108) states that opencl still doesn't work on 7770.

Have you tried amdgpu-pro on a directly supported distro or are you basically stuck until it gets packaged up for Gentoo?
        Well, I've working and fine-tuned Gentoo system and I'd prefer to stay on it, so no, I didn't tried other distros. But if it would work on Ubuntu, I feel I'll be able to bring it up on Gentoo if provided with some directions. However my understanding was it won't work at full, so I tried to make my own hybrid pulling only opencl part in. Obviously I either missed some components or mixed incompatible versions, or both)) At least, libdrm seemingly needs to be replaced. There is vulkan overlay for Gentoo with all the components I may use but 1) it currently uses 16.60 that seem to be removed from AMD site in favour of 17.10, and 2) it is mostly vulkan-centered -- which I don't need. It also has an ebuild for DKMS driver, too, to avoid manual compilation. So the link you've provided seems to be more relevant. (Weird I couldn't google it out by myself). So to say, basically what was keeping me out so far was the understanding (probably false) that 7770 code wasn't ready for the show...

You'll need the kernel DKMS package, the libdrm package(s) and OpenCL at minimum, although you are probably better picking up all of the components. The other option would be to build your own kernel (I think you'll need to if you are using 4.9) with amdgpu enabled for SI, blacklist the radeon kernel driver, and pick up libdrm & opencl from amdgpu-pro.
        It woulld be nice if I'll be able to stay with mainstream amdgpu and bypass DKMS part, but I'm ready to go with full amdgpu-pro if need be. However I'm not sure about the right versions of the kernel and components to pick to make it through.

Comment

Originally posted by kanyck View Post
          The another tread here (https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...108#post933108) states that opencl still doesn't work on 7770.
          Ah, OK. At first glance looks like there might be an identification issue between 7770 (Cape Verde) and Pitcairn. Will try to find out what OpenCL testing has been done so far.
          Test signature

Comment

bridgman
            Found another report that seems to be relevant:

Comment

I successfuly installed AMDGPU-PRO on OpenSUSE Leap 42.2. Now, I have Radeon RX 480 gfx card and it is working very good without any problems together with my older R7 360. I installed only OpenCL ('--compute' option). However, driver requires some patches for OpenSUSE (look up https://community.amd.com/thread/212...art=0&tstart=0, later is patch for 17.10 version).
              EDIT: I installed version for SLES on OpenSUSE.
              Last edited by matszpk; 26 May 2017, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Dos Driver also work for my Barts HDMI sound (Audio Radeon HD 6800 Serie) ?

Im running Ubuntu MATE 16.04.2 LTS 64Bit

Comment

bridgman
                  Any progress with OpenCL on 7770? Another moths has passed...

Comment

considering I have a bunch of various Pitcairns.. including the R7 370 rehashes of it, one being a PRO and the other an XT, and then a 7850 and 2 7870s doing cryptocurrency mining, it sure would be nice if there was just a PPA for getting AMDGPU-PRO, even just the OpenCL portion, working. Ubuntu 14.04 is trying to install the 16.04 HWE parts and kill fglrx and I would expect my ability to use my pitcairns for the only thing I use them for with it. :/

Comment

Working...
                    X