No announcement yet.

10-bit HEVC Decoding For RadeonSI Gallium3D Appears Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 bit video content helps with compression and also eliminates banding (even on 8 bit display when properly converted to 8 bit with dithering). This can already be achieved with sRGB/BT.709.

Good thing that open source AMD driver got this, it's the standard format for UHD BD. What's the state of VP9? Polaris only got a hybrid decoder for it, so it probably is more work to implement it.

Comment

Using 10-bit for 8-bit content reduce banding.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
        But let's say that I want to have ACCURATE 8-bit color.
        movie colors are not really accurate. they just throw away colors of some pixels completely. you need 10 bits to avoid banding

Comment

Originally posted by karasu View Post
          Depends on your needs, but if quality and file size matters, you don't want hardware encoding, just use x265
          To be clear, I'm wanting OpenCL enabled encoding flooding the GPGPU and whether or not the algorithm in the software vectorized process streams is more efficient versus the straight hardware encoding assembly or not whatever allows me to have an optimal output, minimum time to production quality result is all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by bdcomp View Post
            I am wondering if this related to "Hardware H264 Decoding" of Firefox?

If not, any idea why this disabled?
            I don't see why this would in anyway be related to Firefox, or H.264.

Comment

Vdpau suppirt for 10bit hevc seam to ve there for polaris but does not work (tested with 4k video). I use it since more than a month with vaapi without noticable issue.

Comment

Originally posted by VikingGe View Post
                Well now I'm confused. I may be wrong about what I said earlier, but the article explicitly mentions Kaveri, which is neither Stoney Ridge nor Polaris
                The article mentions using 15% CPU of one core on a Kaveri system. It doesn't mean the Kaveri's integrated graphics are being used (i.e. I assume Christian has a discrete Polaris card in the Kaveri system).

unless vdpauinfo deceives me, Polaris support is already there.
                As Christian and another person in this thread note, it is not stable. It's not stable on Nvidia cards either. That's why mpv devs suggest using cuda hwdec for it.

Comment

Originally posted by karasu View Post
                  Depends on your needs, but if quality and file size matters, you don't want hardware encoding, just use x265
                  Have you seen any recent shoot-outs between quicksync and various software implementations? I know there used to be a bit of a difference but that was back the snd/ivy days.

Comment

Originally posted by bdcomp View Post
                    I am wondering if this related to "Hardware H264 Decoding" of Firefox?

If not, any idea why this disabled?
                    ?
                    FF doesn't have working video acceleration because they still don't haven't enabled a fully accelerated ff on Linux. Additionally, they don't appear to have anyone who is particularly experienced with Linux video acceleration apis....
                    Also, it's just not a high priority for them. Chrome is no better, though.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      Have you seen any recent shoot-outs between quicksync and various software implementations? I know there used to be a bit of a difference but that was back the snd/ivy days.
                      Hardware solutions or even hybrid solutions cut a lot of corners to get the more speed and hardware costs down (limited buffers, limited search, leaving out some functionality - sometimes even basic things like b-frames). The main purpose of the hardware encoders is real-time (streaming, video-conference stuff) encoding, so they don't / can't achieve the best quality / size ratios.

Comment

Working...
                      X