Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10-bit HEVC Decoding For RadeonSI Gallium3D Appears Fit

Phoronix: 10-bit HEVC Decoding For RadeonSI Gallium3D Appears Fit

AMD developer Christian König has worked the 10-bit HEVC GPU-accelerated decoding into shape for the open-source RadeonSI Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this work on all RadeonSI hardware?

Comment

I guess the point here is bringing accelerated HEVC decoding/rendering to older GCN hardware that doesn't offer native support. Polaris already supports HEVC decoding with VDPAU, Kaveri (as mentioned in the article) doesn't, which is about to change. VP9 support would be nice as well, considering high-resolution stuff on youtube.

Comment

I am wondering if this related to "Hardware H264 Decoding" of Firefox?

If not, any idea why this disabled?

Comment

No. It's about 10-bit HEVC decoding on the capable gpus (STONEY and POLARIS10/11/12).

Comment

I'm quit color-ignorant, I'll state that right up front. But let's say that I want to have ACCURATE 8-bit color. It would seem to me that I want a 10-bit or more monitor and 10-bit or more support in X. Then I want to use a calibrator to calibrate the combination of X and the display. Then I would like to think that there is some sort of secret sauce to have X present 8-bit color space, but tweak that within the 10-bit color space X and the monitor know about to make those 8 bit colors accurate.

Or do I really want something else, and what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
              No. It's about 10-bit HEVC decoding on the capable gpus (STONEY and POLARIS10/11/12).
              Looking for to this, and one day 10-bit HEVC encoding on my RX-480.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
                Well now I'm confused. I may be wrong about what I said earlier, but the article explicitly mentions Kaveri, which is neither Stoney Ridge nor Polaris, and unless vdpauinfo deceives me, Polaris support is already there.

Edit:
                Code:
                HEVC_MAIN                      186 65536  4096  4096
                HEVC_MAIN_10                   186 65536  4096  4096
                that's on an RX 480 with open-source drivers.
                Last edited by VikingGe; 08 March 2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Looking for to this, and one day 10-bit HEVC encoding on my RX-480.
                  Depends on your needs, but if quality and file size matters, you don't want hardware encoding, just use x265

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
                    I'm quit color-ignorant, I'll state that right up front. But let's say that I want to have ACCURATE 8-bit color. It would seem to me that I want a 10-bit or more monitor and 10-bit or more support in X. Then I want to use a calibrator to calibrate the combination of X and the display. Then I would like to think that there is some sort of secret sauce to have X present 8-bit color space, but tweak that within the 10-bit color space X and the monitor know about to make those 8 bit colors accurate.
                    I don’t see why you would need 10 bit support to show 8 bit colors. But yes you’ll need a very good calibrated monitor. (Not that I have any experience with this.)

Comment

Working...
                    X