X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by puleglot View Post

Portage copies kernel sources at least 3 times: unpack them into work dir, install them into image dir, merge them into the system, and finally clear temporary dirs.
    So as i said, the sandbox.

Leave a comment:

• puleglot
    replied
    Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

Because of the sandbox?
    Portage copies kernel sources at least 3 times: unpack them into work dir, install them into image dir, merge them into the system, and finally clear temporary dirs.

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewi View Post

I wouldn't bother. As a Gentoo developer, I just clone the kernel from git. It's a lot faster in the long run, Portage takes ages to install of those kernel source files.
    Because of the sandbox?

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by SmyMetal View Post
    Someday users will be free to get some new feature without need to wait a new Kernel release.
    Kernel internal interfaces change all the time, no sane person is going to maintain out-of-tree drivers with compatibility layers without being paid significant amounts of money for it

Leave a comment:

• tegs
    replied
    Originally posted by SmyMetal View Post
    Someday users will be free to get some new feature without need to wait a new Kernel release.
    Maybe this can be put into a DKMS package along with the audio codec support in the 4.11 kernel for Ryzen users.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Does anybody know or can check if CIK experimental support (Sea Islands) has been enabled in this kernel build?

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewi View Post

I wouldn't bother. As a Gentoo developer, I just clone the kernel from git. It's a lot faster in the long run, Portage takes ages to install of those kernel source files.
    That's how I do it too

/usr/src/linux with all the trees I need added as remotes and use git worktree to have multiple kernels available without having to reclone

I have four on the go just now

Linus's tree
    Dave Airlied's DRM Next
    Intel's Nightly DRM
    Alex Deucher's Work In Progress DRM Next

The DAL tree that was based on DRM Next hasn't been updated since it's creation and I don't want to go back to Kernel 4.9 just to test DAL. Especially considering HDMI 2.0 isn't available on Tonga and in a PRIME setup it's the Intel chip that powers HDMI audio

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    I wonder how long this can go on until someone from community reads through PR for hardware details, throws away DC/DAL and submits their own PR based on DRM concepts so it has greater likelihood to be merged
    I hope it will happen soon.

Leave a comment:

• SmyMetal
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SmyMetal
    replied
    Perfect, someone did something about this hypocrisy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X