Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Sends Out Revised DAL Patches, Various Cleanups

Phoronix: AMD Sends Out Revised DAL Patches, Various Cleanups

The latest DAL (Display Abstraction Layer) patches are now available for testing that represent the past four weeks of work by AMD developers on working towards getting the code reworked into a state that it can be merged in the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's very nice! I hope they will take their time to deliver solid code. The more understandable it is the more contribution will be there.

Comment

i thought raven ridge will be released later than discrete vega, so in order to avoid maintaining two codepaths for new hardware they need to switch before vega release

Comment

Right... Vega10 is the first part where we want to have DAL be the first and only display code implementation. Raven Ridge is the first GPU where other OSes will be using DAL3 code though... prior to that all of the DAL implementations have been done solely for Linux users (which is kinda rough on the DAL team since they need to implement same functionality in DAL 2 for other OSes).

Have to go... Mistral Wind coming up on stereo. For debianxfce, agree that good small stereo speakers hit "awesome" 15-20 years ago and don't seem to have changed significantly since then. The big change has been with larger speakers, where 12"+ woofers were replaced with columns of 5.5-6.5" speakers for narrower baffles & better imaging.

Currently listening to Sierra-1's driven by Adcom GFA-555-II, seems like an odd combo but not a bad balance really. One of the few where speaker hits limits before the amp. Elegant Gypsy up next... interesting album, opens like Tangerine Dream, more like Return to Forever at various points, and pretty much everything else along the way.
        Last edited by bridgman; 21 November 2016, 11:39 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Raven Ridge is the first GPU where other OSes will be using DAL3 code though... prior to that all of the DAL implementations have been done solely for Linux users (which is kinda rough on the DAL team since they need to implement same functionality in DAL 2 for other OSes).
          Well, that is kinda huge news... Will there be any chance of the Mesa driver making it to Windows some day or is there no plan for that essentially ever?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Right... Vega10 is the first part where we want to have DAL be the first and only display code implementation. Raven Ridge is the first GPU where other OSes will be using DAL3 code though... prior to that all of the DAL implementations have been done solely for Linux users (which is kinda rough on the DAL team since they need to implement same functionality in DAL 2 for other OSes).
            . . .
            I wish it quick mainlining, and then the support for the remaining members of GCN family.

Comment

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Comment

So the patches are sent out to be tested now? I don't understand why they wouldn't be integrated in 4.10 otherwise. Some RCs before?

Comment

Originally posted by cRaZy-bisCuiT View Post
                  So the patches are sent out to be tested now? I don't understand why they wouldn't be integrated in 4.10 otherwise. Some RCs before?
                  DAL had been rejected when they first sent it. AMD was not yet able to "sell" it so maintainers. Maybe they create some kind of urgency, when Vega and Raven ridge rely on DAL to output a picture at all.
                  If this is the plan, I wonder what would happen if somebody from the community gets Vega working with minor changes/extensions to the current display code 😁

Comment

Is there a comparison between changes in code sizes from the initial implementation to what is being offered now?

Comment

Working...
                    X