Don't Expect AMDGPU To Enable SI/CIK Support By Default Anytime Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    SI/CIK wasn't really planned to have amdgpu driver, but AMD said OK after some time "we have CIK somewhat already and will try to do SI". So AMD instead to say No, they said Yes.. but people still complain
    While I agree with you to some degree, I have to say that the complaints are absolutely justifiable. You buy that card, you get performance and functionality nowhere near you would get with Windows. And the situation is not unique to this driver transitioning period of time. It has always been like this, the situation got just a little worse as you have to choose between functionality and other functionality currently.
    However, AMD's free drivers are still the best and that's one of the main reasons some people like me prefer AMD. I also like to buy the Vega card but I guess that depends on the situation of the drivers. I'd like to have free OpenCL, Vulkan and HSA/ROCm compatibility or I could as well not buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
      AMD's driver devs may have their reasons, but keep in mind that we're going to keep this in mind next time we buy a new GPU. Am I likely to buy AMD again next time? Short answer: No. Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooope.
      I'm right here with you. At the moment, there are 6 AMD CPU's and 5 AMD GPU's in my house hold between myself and my family. After the nightmare I went through with my 390X, I will never support them again. They are much better at pandering to Linux users than actually writing Linux drivers. Though I've never had an issue with their CPU's, my next CPU's will be Intel just out of principle.

Comment

With Windows you can't compare this, no way . There is various APIs more and much more features supported there, but OK that difference is mostly really enviroment native to Windows.

On Linux side and with this SI/CIK thingy that AMD "decided".. that is mostly wasted resources story To avoid they should right from beginning year ago say with Crimson:

1. EG/NI already dropped
        2. SI/CIK maintaince kernel/xserver mode for 3 years
        3. VI+ swithing to amdgpu-pro

On opensource side SI/CIK radeon only and again amdgpu VI+ only - so that would be crystal clear

Instead they decided to waste resources for no reason There is only 2 VK beta games still, so who cares Newer VK games if use that would waste that any advantage anyway and thing will again be slow on that older hardware, so really who cares

Comment

You can't just drop support from the Kernel with hardware that has been and will be used over years.
          IMHO they've handled their resources quite economically. It is only wasted if nobody can profit. A full switch overnight is not and never has been possible, so...

Comment

I am not talking about dropping anything, but not changing anything... what is done is done, new opensource amdgpu driver, but also amdgpu-pro driver only for VI+.

I am talking about dropping that SI/CIK experimental mess entirely, as that hardware is already supported by radeon.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              Those look like very different approaches to me (compile kernel driver vs compile kernel).
              those are very different approaches, but not like you mistaken. they both compile kernel driver, but nvidia driver is some out-of-tree shit plus windows blob, while amd driver is in-tree

Comment

Will HDMI audio come through DAL for SI and CI as well?
                I assumed they would just port the old code eventually.

Comment

Well at least AMD is making more progress then NVIDIA I think. I mean we don't see much in the way of fixes from NVIDIA these days, I really wish they would fix the RandR issues with SLI&Multimonitor configurations at 4k in their drivers...

PS. Yet another endless trolling match involving that deb.. guy, what a surprise :-)

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
                    You can't just drop support from the Kernel with hardware that has been and will be used over years.
                    IMHO they've handled their resources quite economically. It is only wasted if nobody can profit. A full switch overnight is not and never has been possible, so...
                    And for them to profit, they can't make enemies by dooming VERY recent cards (which are architecturally very similar to cards that ARE supported) to a lesser supported feature set, and in a state of performance that is absolutely pitiful. What dungeon says isn't reasonable at all. You will absolute make enemies with users if you don't support them for a reasonable period and work to improve the performance and experience with their product. Recent cards deserve the Vulkan driver. Recent cards deserve all of the performance optimizations going in for GCN 1.2 when they apply to 1.1/1.0 which some will. dungeon is free to have his opinion but it certainly isn't a reasonable one.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
                      If folks want GCN 1 cards as defaulted to amdgpu they first need to talk to their distro vendor. This change needs to come from the bottom up, once the ecosystem is happy with the right versions of libdrm, mesa, llvm and so on its its being used in this way in the wild then and only then are we likely to toggle it over upstream.
                      I'm using Arch Linux - I already have the right versions of everything. I believe even Fedora updates their software frequently enough. Debian and the Ubuntu and some other distros are the ones dragging their feet (apparently they want old software because it's "stable" ).

Comment

Working...
                      X