X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    Yes, AMD should learn to say No and also Long one: Noooooooooooooooooo

This SI/CIK switching only introduced giant mess for not much need
    Well, in my case. R9 390 with Radeon kernel driver was hanging a lot, bad performance. R9 390 with AMDGPU driver - no hangs, very good performance. All games run buttery smooth (even things like Metro 2033 Redux).

Comment

Originally posted by Holograph View Post
      Recent cards deserve all of the performance optimizations going in for GCN 1.2 when they apply to 1.1/1.0 which some will. d
      But wouldn't these come in mesa and not the kernel, which then is not related to this topic?

Comment

I would like to know if I understand the situation correctly.
        We have 3 OSS kernel drivers:
        - radeon - which is mature and mostly in bugfixing and maintenance mode
        - amdgpu-pro - which is the driver AMD is working on
        - amdgpu - which is stripped amdgpu-pro driver that dont have DAL, DKMS and IOCTL used only by Crimson userspace
        There may be more code differences between amdgpu-pro and amdgpu but from what i read OSS userspace is compatible with both.

If this is correct AMD is not adding SI/CIK support to amdgpu but backporting that code from amdgpu-pro.
        And they probably need SI/CIK support for their FirePro cards as they are not creating new FGRLX builds for newer RHEL and Ubuntu LTS.

What i want to see than is the amdgpu-pro kernel driver to be provided separately of the Crimson package so i can easily download it and build it.
        This should be done until the DAL functionality is in amdgpu.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

You can only fry a GTX 1080 if you play Furmark for hours. Since Furmark is not a Linux application, I don't see the relevance in a Linux forum.
          Furmark is part of GpuTest suite and it is available for linux.
          GPU Test is a cross-platform GPU stress test and OpenGL benchmark for Windows, Linux and OSX.

Comment

pixo
            amdgpu-pro is a userspace proprietary non-open source binary driver that depends on amdgpu.
            amdgpu is a new open source driver

Comment

Originally posted by Las_ View Post
              pixo
              amdgpu-pro is a userspace proprietary non-open source binary driver that depends on amdgpu.
              amdgpu is a new open source driver
              The AMDGPU-PRO or Crimson or whatever is the successor of FGRLX called has different kernel driver that shares code with upstreamed amdgpu kernel driver.
              Also the module is called amdgpu-pro and it has DAL + some IOCTLs that cant be upstreamed.
              I am sure of this.

Comment

Originally posted by pixo View Post
                I would like to know if I understand the situation correctly.
                We have 3 OSS kernel drivers:
                - radeon - which is mature and mostly in bugfixing and maintenance mode
                - amdgpu-pro - which is the driver AMD is working on
                - amdgpu - which is stripped amdgpu-pro driver that dont have DAL, DKMS and IOCTL used only by Crimson userspace
                There may be more code differences between amdgpu-pro and amdgpu but from what i read OSS userspace is compatible with both.

If this is correct AMD is not adding SI/CIK support to amdgpu but backporting that code from amdgpu-pro.
                And they probably need SI/CIK support for their FirePro cards as they are not creating new FGRLX builds for newer RHEL and Ubuntu LTS.

What i want to see than is the amdgpu-pro kernel driver to be provided separately of the Crimson package so i can easily download it and build it.
                This should be done until the DAL functionality is in amdgpu.
                What you call amdgpu-pro kernel is most likely the upstream version of amdgpu.
                I assume the interface used by the proprietary driver is the same as the one used by radeonsi.
                And SI/CK stuff didn't get ported from that "pro kernel", but from the radeon module.

As for an amdgpu with DAL, you already have that in Alex Deucher (agf5f)'s trees in fdo.

Comment

@Las_
                  amdgpu-pro is also a kernel driver that is provided with AMDGPU-PRO
                  this one has the DAL + IOCTLs that cant be upstreamed
                  and as DAL is needed for freesync and HDMI/DP audio it is more feature complete until DAL is rewritten to form acceptable by upstream

Comment

2 post unapproved... so annoying

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                      Well, in my case. R9 390 with Radeon kernel driver was hanging a lot, bad performance. R9 390 with AMDGPU driver - no hangs, very good performance. All games run buttery smooth (even things like Metro 2033 Redux).
                      Yeah probably, i thinking of year ago things so if AMD wants to keep things clear that was the way.

But they decided for this, mess of the choice is already there

Comment

Working...
                      X