No announcement yet.

AMDGPU-PRO 16.40 Released For Ubuntu & Red Hat Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Of course equivalent is expected, but not the same... in percentages, diff will always be *this % much*

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post

It's not the drivers AFAIK... the problem is that for a long time there was no standard way for a game to obtain VRAM information, so there are games which are coded as "if the driver is fglrx then call this special extension to get the VRAM size, if the driver is <whatever NVidia driver is named> then call a different extension".

Since the games don't get updated it doesn't matter if other drivers implement the same extension; it still won't get called (I believe the open drivers have had support for a few years). Anyways, I think you will find this is game-specific and probably old-game-specific.
      Perhaps but on my 5870 it always detected fine with FGLRX and OSS. Only the RX is having these issues.

Comment

• Yep... I think the game is probably saying "is it fglrx ? If so then make the right call... not fglrx ? give up".
        Test signature

Comment

Yep... I think the game is probably saying "is it fglrx ? If so then make the right call... not fglrx ? give up".
          I think that by "OSS" he meant opensource driver, so I think he said the game worked fine on open driver too.

Comment

• Yep, that's what I said earlier - the game probably checks for the drivers that existed at the time the game was released.
            Test signature

Comment

Yep, that's what I said earlier - the game probably checks for the drivers that existed at the time the game was released.
              ah, so checks for both properietary and for Radeon, amdgpu is different.

Isn't there anything that can be done for such games (apart from sending ninjas to steal the source to fix it)?

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                ah, so checks for both properietary and for Radeon, amdgpu is different. Isn't there anything that can be done for such games (apart from sending ninjas to steal the source to fix it)?
                It depends on how each game identifies the driver it is running on - if it's looking at GL info (eg render string) then then faking the string is a possibility (albeit one which could introduce a bunch of different problems), but if it's looking at something like kernel driver name there are fewer options.
                Test signature

Comment

• does it stop LightDM from starting for someone else? i tried to install in on R7 260x / ubuntu mate 16.04 and the install got trough but when i restart i get a black screen with the llightdm line saying it couldn't start.

it acually appears that since this version any radeonsi configuration files under etc cause a conflict.
                  Last edited by darius; 07 February 2017, 09:40 AM. Reason: RESOLVED

Comment

• Originally posted by dungeon View Post

AMD does not like writting changelogs nor take attention on descriptions, etc... Whatever, that is Kabini APU so should work. As per ddx package description:

And no, that Y is not mine typo
                    I thank you even if late.

Comment

Working...
                    X