OpenCL 2.0 support for Polaris, Carrizo, Bristol Ridge etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL 2.0 support for Polaris, Carrizo, Bristol Ridge etc

AMDGPU-Pro (as per the documentation) seems to support only OpenCL 1.2 on these new devices whereas the hardware is fully capable of OpenCL 2.0. In fact, afaik OpenCL 2.0 is supported on Windows. Does anyone know if the AMDGPU-Pro driver supports OpenCL 2.0 (i.e. maybe documentation error?)? Alternatively, if the documentation is correct, then is there is any plan to support OpenCL 2.0?

Highly doubt it...Polaris has been out for 2 months now and they still haven't fixed the bugs in their current AMDGPU Pro implementation. I wouldn't expect any major work on the linux compute side until their large die 14nm compute monsters come out next year.

Comment

Next step AFAIK is moving OpenCL to run over ROC rather than duplicating HSA/ROC functionality in the graphics driver.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Next step AFAIK is moving OpenCL to run over ROC rather than duplicating HSA/ROC functionality in the graphics driver.
        That's good news considering the latency advantages of ROC but hardware support is still limited to Fiji + some firepro dGPUs. Does this mean that ROC in future will be widely supported by consumer dGPUs?

Comment

Yes, the plan is to support it on all new GPUs going forward.

Also note that we added Hawaii support in the most recent release.

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...er/tree/master
          Test signature

Comment

Yes, the plan is to support it on all new GPUs going forward.

Also note that we added Hawaii support in the most recent release.

https://github.com/RadeonOpenCompute...er/tree/master
            Great!
            I've noticed Hawai support but I had only seen its firepro flavors referred:

Comment

AFAIK it should work fine with consumer cards as well. There are some "server features" which only get enabled on the FirePRO parts, eg peer-to-peer access between GPUs, RDMA, large BAR etc.., but they are typically only used in a server system anyways.
              Test signature

Comment

AFAIK it should work fine with consumer cards as well. There are some "server features" which only get enabled on the FirePRO parts, eg peer-to-peer access between GPUs, RDMA, large BAR etc.., but they are typically only used in a server system anyways.
                Is there an ETA on when the 16.40.2011 drivers released in the latest 16.9.1 windows package will make it to AMDGPU-Pro? There seems to be a 5-10% increase in compute performance on the windows side with polaris compared to linux 16.30.x driver.

Comment

Thanks bridgman. OpenCL support on ROCm seems to be at 1.2, not sure when/if CL 2.0 will happen.

Comment

Yes, thanks bridgman.
                    However, I can say I'm a little confused on the upcoming support of OpenCL on Linux. Will this still be supported by closed source amdgpu-pro or it will be replaced by an open source runtime over ROCm? What's the near future plan?

Comment

Working...
                    X