GCN 1.0 / Southern Islands On AMDGPU Takes Another Step Forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MrCooper
    Don't know for sure, but i've found xf86-video-amdgpu-git:73c8dc0 in my system so probably it was used. I will check this later.

Comment

my result with 7970
      Name Amdgpu Radeon
      Lightsmark 654 677
      Furmark 5305 5303
      Volplosion 2527 2529
      Plot3D 76143 76372
      Xonotic normal 265 286
      heavy games and benchmark cause errors in dpm

Comment

Does dynamic power management work out of the box or do I have to activate it as boot parameter?
        I have a R7 M265 (GCN 1.1)

Comment

bcellin
          amdgpu support for your card is still experimental so you need build kernel with admgpu_cik enable, blacklist radeon driver and then should work out of the box

Comment

Originally posted by Meteorhead View Post
            It has been a long time dream of ours to have compute-graphics living together like a happy family, both in C++, and preferably single-source. However, the drivers, APIs and compilers need to evolve, but the gap is closing.
            Have you read about our Radeon Open Compute / HCC stack ? It's currently a separate driver set, at least for dGPU, but we have almost finished the changes we need to make the dGPU support upstreamable so we can merge it into the existing all-open and hybrid driver stacks.

It currently defaults to using the closed-source HSAIL finalizer but we are in the process of moving to the same all-open LLVM-based direct-to-ISA compiler that we use in the open source graphics stack.

Only downside is that it is based around the HSA/ROC user queue model so I don't see it extending cleanly back to SI hardware (the MEC block was added in CI and up).
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
              bcellin
              amdgpu support for your card is still experimental so you need build kernel with admgpu_cik enable, blacklist radeon driver and then should work out of the box
              Hey, amdgpu works out of the box already for my card. I didn't have to build custom kernel or blacklist radeon.

Comment

Glad to hear, in arch is not enable by default still

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  That this was an option under consideration boggles the mind. Thank god you didn't do that.
                  In serious decision-making even stupid ideas are brought to the table, discussed and (eventually) discarded.
                  You never know if a stupid idea is just "a bit" stupid, i.e. with some modifications you are unaware of it can become a good idea, that's part of the group's brainstorming process.

Obvious bad ideas get shot down pretty fast anyway, so it's not like a big waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                    Glad to hear, in arch is not enable by default still
                    Yeah, I forgot to mention that I use Ubuntu 16.04 but you have already guessed it. Do you think I'm gonna have to set some boot parameter to experience dpm??

Comment

I don't think so. It just works. If for any reason don't, try amdgpu.dpm=1 in kernel line

Comment

Working...
                      X