BioShock Infinite Runs Much Faster For RadeonSI On Mesa Git: ~40%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by haagch View Post
    85.50 FPS with RX480? Is the benchmark lighter than gameplay? Because in graphically slightly more demanding areas I definitely do not average at 85FPS, more like 45. https://i.imgur.com/dQN55fY.png
    According to your HUD graphs the game is neither gpu nor cpu bound.

Comment

R600 on ancient hardware also seems to be heavily boosted. Good work.

Comment

I'll get excited when I see 150+++ fps from these AMD cards, I mean if a NVIDIA 950 can get 142fps then AMD should be able to achieve at least that with allot of these cards.

The real question is whether AMD can migrate these performance improvements over to all other games in due time, they need general platform/opengl improvements not just game specific tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post

According to your HUD graphs the game is neither gpu nor cpu bound.
          It's very much CPU bound. Linux's CPU scheduler shuffles cores around so it never appears that a thread is maxing out a single core at a given time, even when it is, but looking at the HUD, I would say that the game is running as fast as it can on two out of four cores, but the two cores aren't fast enough. NVIDIA is probably able to offload more work onto a separate thread to achieve a higher framerate.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

It's very much CPU bound. Linux's CPU scheduler shuffles cores around so it never appears that a thread is maxing out a single core at a given time, even when it is, but looking at the HUD, I would say that the game is running as fast as it can on two out of four cores, but the two cores aren't fast enough. NVIDIA is probably able to offload more work onto a separate thread to achieve a higher framerate.
            To be honest it is not clear from the HUD that the game is CPU bound. Compare it with Witcher 2 running on my system:

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
              they need general platform/opengl improvements not just game specific tweaks.
              there was no game specific tweaks

Comment

To be honest it is not clear from the HUD that the game is CPU bound
                to be honest you don't need hud to see that, just same results with all cards

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
                  ... Looks like those tested are all VI or newer.
                  ???
                  Since when is R7 370 Volcanic Islands?
                  It is Southern Islands. Not even Sea Islands. There is no Sea Islands tested at all. HD 7790, HD 8770, R7 260, R7 260X, R7 360 is missing. Hawaii/Grenada has a regression.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                    but the two cores aren't fast enough.
                    Yea, my i5-6500 is probably just too slow, should have bought a real CPU instead.

To be honest it is not clear from the HUD that the game is CPU bound. Compare it with Witcher 2 running on my system:
                    Yea looks a little bit different on my CPU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T746yM44uSE

Comment

Well the scaling is logical if you compare the frequency difference. That shows that NVIDIA most likely can use more than 1 thread in many games.

Comment

Working...
                      X