RX480 w/ AMDGPU-PRO on SteamOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX480 w/ AMDGPU-PRO on SteamOS

I'm one of the lucky 14 who won a RX480 on the AMD AMA thread on Reddit.

Very happy to ditch my Geforce 960 for a driver supported by proper, open-source drivers. However, I realized the obvious shortly thereafter that while the open source support means support out-of-the-box, that won't really apply until the next major distro releases. So great news for Fedora 25, not so great for Fedora 24.

When considering the effort required to build my own kernel, mesa, etc -- things I'm capable of doing, but which I haven't done in the better part of a decade because I simply don't want to --, I re-evaluated the purpose of my desktop. I only use it for games, due to my laptop being my primary computer. So, I replaced Fedora with SteamOS. That link leads to my post on reddit, but thought folks here might be more interested in the process.

Install Procedure

Out of the box (post-install), it doesn't work. Not even as well as Fedora's generic GPU support. All that is displayed is the standard "Oh no" gnome error. This is likely due to Fedora having llvm-pipe, and the older Debian-based SteamOS might not have a software fallback for unsupported cards. The AMDGPU-PRO driver for SteamOS is still beta-only. So I need to switch to the beta channel: ctrl+alt+f2 to get to a terminal. Login with desktop/desktop

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install steamos-beta-repo
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get remove .*fglrx.*
    sudo apt-get install .*amdgpu.* amdgpu-pro-lib32
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    Don't reboot yet, though. During my initial testing, I reached a bootloop due to a problem with steam's updater in the beta (not amdgpu-pro specific). To work around this, disable autologin for steam user, and set a password:

Code:
    cp /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/20_steamos.conf ~/
    sudo -e /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/20_steamos.conf
    sudo passwd steam
    Upon reboot, log in as the steam user. It auto-downloads a steam update. However, I noticed some graphics flickering while it was doing this. Upon completion of that, it auto reboots into clonezilla and images steamos to a recovery image. Upon manually rebooting after that, it boots to a "Preparing hardware drivers" screen for a while. The screen goes black for a bit. I thought something was wrong. Then it reboots again, I think (I was using my other computer, typing the post for reddit).

(this is where the boot-loop would occur if you didn't disable auto-login).

Upon rebooting again, log in as 'desktop'. Open a terminal, su to steam, then run the steam client. (In retrospect, you could probably log in as 'steam' instead, since we set a password for it, and just ensure your session is set to Gnome instead of SteamOS).

Code:
    su - steam
    steam
    Once steam updates, log out. At the login screen, switch to "SteamOS" via the top-right session selector, and log in as 'steam' user. Now you're cooking with gas.

Note: You can re-enable autologin. However, it might be an idea to set a 1 or 2 second timeout to give you an easy-out for potential steam updater issues.

Current Status

At the main screen, I'm currently experiencing some flickering, as well as distorted sound. However, after starting a game (original Portal), that all goes away once the game is rendering a scene. It reminds me of playing around with power scaling with the nouveau driver. I wonder if the AMDGPU-PRO driver has some issues at lower power settings currently (at least the version shipped with steamos).

Portal anyway runs at >200fps, but with a few drops to 90fps when looking through some portals. Interestingly, it felt like there was a fair amount of input latency. It was annoying in a single player puzzler, but would likely be extremely troubling for a FPS. So it's kicking out lots of frames, but something else is a little weird still. Not sure how to debug that.

Future Steps
    • Figure out why input sucks
    • Figure out why the screen flickers
    • Run the unigine benchmarks to compare against my Geforce 960 on the same hardware (albeit on Fedora 24). I didn't run the PTS because I couldn't be bothered to figure out how.

Last edited by ChrisIrwin; 21 July 2016, 10:10 AM.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    SteamOS is from hell compared to original Debian:
    - No Synaptic
    - Gnome terminal does not work if not system is set to US
    - Gnome is shitty desktop compared to Xfce that you can configure freely. Gnome3 full screen application menu is from hell.
    - one server in US, getting software is very slow
    • To be fair, this isn't a desktop. So I don't care about Synaptic.
    • I didn't notice an issue the one time I used gnome-terminal.
    • Gnome is a very nice desktop, and I've been quite happy using it from 1.4 through to 3.20 at both work and home. I'm sure xfce is also nice. Either way, I don't care which one I'm not using with SteamOS.
    • Didn't have much of an issue during my update to beta and installing the amdgpu drivers.

Use Debian testing Xfce, you have better luck with amdgpu-pro (replace word ubuntu with debian in amdgpu-pro-installer file) or use official kernel for rx 480:
    https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...h=polaris-test
    And latest mesa from:
    https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-...ve/ubuntu/mesa
    I specifically wanted to avoid building my own kernel, mesa, etc. If I was to do that, I'd do it on a Fedora machine. With Gnome

Xfce is way stable compared to Gnome.
    http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/st.../amd64/iso-cd/
    I'm sure it's quite nice. I'm happy with gnome on my desktops. I literally don't care what steamos uses behind the scenes.

Comment

Thanks for this thread. Yes, there is still some work ahead for AMD's driver teams, but I just want to say it is vastly better now than it was just a a year ago.

The flickering I see on that video looks a lot like memory instability. Overclocked memory, or perhaps undervolted memory?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Thanks for this thread. Yes, there is still some work ahead for AMD's driver teams, but I just want to say it is vastly better now than it was just a a year ago.

The flickering I see on that video looks a lot like memory instability. Overclocked memory, or perhaps undervolted memory?
        That was what reminded me of trying the experimental power scaling settings on nouveau on a previous system. It generated similar issues when changing GPU and memory frequencies. That would also explain why the issues on the rx480 would go away once a game was running (card clocked to normal frequencies).

I haven't modified the card in any way since it has arrived, including over/under clocking/volting. I've simply installed the standard drivers in windows, and the amdgpu-pro drivers from the steamos beta channel.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisIrwin View Post

That was what reminded me of trying the experimental power scaling settings on nouveau on a previous system. It generated similar issues when changing GPU and memory frequencies. That would also explain why the issues on the rx480 would go away once a game was running (card clocked to normal frequencies).

I haven't modified the card in any way since it has arrived, including over/under clocking/volting. I've simply installed the standard drivers in windows, and the amdgpu-pro drivers from the steamos beta channel.
          It's perhaps a good idea to file a bug report about that one, if for no other reason than to make certain the proper channel is informed.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

It's perhaps a good idea to file a bug report about that one, if for no other reason than to make certain the proper channel is informed.
            Good point. I'm using the Proprietary - PRO versions, as built for - and distributed by - valve for steamos. Where would I stick the bug? I haven't tested with the current open git copy (and I'm probably tainted anyway due to the AMD GL libraries). I haven't seen a bugzilla/issue tracker for either Valve or AMD (though I'll admit I wasn't looking for one before).

Comment

Perhaps here since it's the amdgpu-pro driver? http://support.amd.com/en-us/contact/email-form

You can probably ask on irc #radeon. That's where a lot of the oss devs can be easily reached. And amdgpu is probably where the trigger for that bug is.

EDIT: If you need an irc client. https://webchat.freenode.net/
              nickname can be anything you want, channel is #radeon, click "I am not a robot".
              Last edited by duby229; 21 July 2016, 05:17 PM.

Comment

ChrisIrwin

That current steamos driver was released day before RX 480 official card release... so that does not really officialy support your card, bridgman mentioned some last minute fixes for release driver and that card, etc...

Well just keep it up to date, Valve for SteamOS seems update pro driver every month
                Last edited by dungeon; 21 July 2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I didn't think the driver we released for SteamOS included production RX 480 support either. The last driver update AFAICS was in 2.83 in late June; it does not appear that 2.84 picked up a newer driver. The launch driver with production RX 480 support was the one at:

https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...ase-Notes.aspx

I'll try to get confirmation on this tomorrow, but IMO most likely is that the SteamOS driver contains support for engineering sample chips but not for production parts.
                  Test signature

Comment

Well in deb changleog you can see on jun 17. first packaged by amd, then released (appeared in repo) for steamos 11 days after... so it is something more then 1 month old.

So if you have last minute fixes in last 12 days before RX 480 release, then i guess this isn't it
                    Last edited by dungeon; 22 July 2016, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X