Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    lol
    i take it optimus does not work on windows?
    Yes, NVidia drivers worked only after a few month for hybrid laptop back in 2010.

At least optimus came under Linux for NVidia before, but ofc you prefer AMD who just gave 0 support and 0 solution so that basically any of their GPU was a dead horse or prevented the system to boot for several years.

Comment

software running on servers around internet is also software. and most of it is closed, including this forum. somehow this does not preclude you from using internet, i find it very hypocritical
      There is the concept of Service as a Software Substitute and yes, many cloud-based services have the same (or worse) malicious properties that proprietary software has.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      why do you differentiate hardware and firmware then? from user's pov they are the same thing
      No, they are not. Firmware is software, and when it is proprietary the manufacturer has the unethical advantage of being able to modify it and control the user.

Comment

• Originally posted by Passso View Post
        Yes, NVidia drivers worked only after a few month for hybrid laptop back in 2010.
        Probably it still had a muxer back then, it was easy to get them to work, once you control the damn muxer you control the switching.

At least optimus came under Linux for NVidia before
        In the sense of forcing the NVIDIA gpu on, while $list_of_bugs happen.
        Yeah, right. AMD's closed driver at least could handle the switching. Not that it was much better.

Comment

you are lying. i have no nvidia hardware, but arch wiki says about optimus "The proprietary NVIDIA driver does not support dynamic switching like the nouveau driver (meaning it can only use the NVIDIA device). It also has notable screen-tearing issues that NVIDIA recognizes but has not fixed"
          Originally posted by Passso View Post
          At least optimus came under Linux for NVidia before, but ofc you prefer AMD who just gave 0 support and 0 solution
          at least you are liar. optimus didn't come under linux and ofc amd supports prime
          Last edited by pal666; 26 July 2016, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            There is the concept of Service as a Software Substitute and yes, many cloud-based services have the same (or worse) malicious properties that proprietary software has.
            why don't you stop using this proprietary website then?
            Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            No, they are not. Firmware is software, and when it is proprietary the manufacturer has the unethical advantage of being able to modify it and control the user.
            yes, they are. user can't see the difference between firmware which requires soldering iron to replace and firmware which does not. manufacturer can't modify anything when driver is open and controlled by user. sometimes user can get bugfix without buying new hardware, but only imbecile would oppose that
            Last edited by pal666; 26 July 2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

why don't you stop using this proprietary website then?
              Apparently you haven't read the FSF position on the matter, and the FSF are among the strictest when it comes to these things.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              yes, they are. user can't see the difference between firmware which requires soldering iron to replace and firmware which does not. manufacturer can't modify anything when driver is open and controlled by user. sometimes user can get bugfix without buying new hardware, but only imbecile would oppose that
              Would he? What if that new firmware is necessary to continue watching Netflix in 4K but at the same time cracks down on fair use? What if a firmware update to play the latest games on PlayStation 3 at the same time disables Linux support?

Please, educate yourself about the FSF position and why hardwired logic is ok, proprietary firmware in ROM (or in writeable locations which are in practice not changed during the lifetime of a device) is ok, but firmware in NVRAM or that is designed to be updated regularly during the lifetime of the device is unethical. You don't have to agree with them (I don't fully agree with them either), you just need to understand why they think that way.
              Last edited by chithanh; 26 July 2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

you are lying. i have no nvidia hardware, but arch wiki says about optimus "The proprietary NVIDIA driver does not support dynamic switching like the nouveau driver (meaning it can only use the NVIDIA device). It also has notable screen-tearing issues that NVIDIA recognizes but has not fixed"
                at least you are liar. optimus didn't come under linux and ofc amd supports prime
                I have an NVidia hybrid laptop dating from 2010. So I wrote from my experience :

Otimus works on Linux since 2011, then came Primus with several improvments and since then I can ondemand switch on my GPU with NVidia drivers just adding "primusrun" before the command.

Now you are free to loose your time quoting an old shitty wiki...

Comment

Otimus works on Linux since 2011, then came Primus with several improvments and since then I can ondemand switch on my GPU with NVidia drivers just adding "primusrun" before the command.
                  Cool, your laptop with probably a hardware muxer works fine, many others muxless didn't for years and still now have issues.

Now you are free to loose your time quoting an old shitty wiki...
                  Arch linux wiki is old and shitty. Yeah right.

Comment

• Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Cool, your laptop with probably a hardware muxer works fine, many others muxless didn't for years and still now have issues.
                    3 laptops I tried, 3 working Primus with Opensuse thank to the "1-click install".

I did test with Ubuntu and other distros too and yes I agree that one of them was really harder, having to tweek things manually and dive into the last results of Google...
                    For this one case I would say :"just go for the official driver and reboot when you wanna play"

Comment

3 laptops I tried, 3 working Primus with Opensuse thank to the "1-click install".

I did test with Ubuntu and other distros too and yes I agree that one of them was really harder, having to tweek things manually and dive into the last results of Google...
                      For this one case I would say :"just go for the official driver and reboot when you wanna play"
                      If it is distro-dependent it is still not NVIDIA's merit.

Comment

Working...
                      X