Fresh AMDGPU-PRO vs. Mesa 12.1-dev Performance FIgures For The Radeon RX 480

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
    For me they don't have to be the best, but as long as they're close to Intel's best and have good pricing I will retire my aging Q6600.
    In a similar situation. I'm still running a Phenom II x6 1055t and Radeon 7840. I'm seriously considerig an RX480 with a custom cooler in the near term and Zen when it comes out (assuming that even half the hype is true).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
      But amdgpu-pro is the name of the (closed source) userspace api implementation.
      Not confusing at all
      It's actually pretty simple. There are two amdgpu stacks:

- all open uses amdgpu kernel driver, modesetting or amdgpu DDX, mesa for video / GL / CL

- pro (hybrid) uses amdgpu kernel driver, amdgpu DDX (I think), mesa for video, closed source for GL / CL / Vulkan

We refer to the closed source drivers as "Catalyst <API>" internally (although I guess we should be saying "Crimson" these days) since they are code-shared with drivers for other OSes.
      Test signature

Comment

So, Crimson (amdgpu-pro) and Gitson (amdgpu)

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          - pro (hybrid) uses amdgpu kernel driver, amdgpu DDX (I think), mesa for video, closed source for GL / CL / Vulkan
          So AMDGPU-Pro uses Mesa? What do you mean by video, hardware video decoding?

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
            That currently means VDPAU support is the same for opensource and closed source drivers, so uses mesa's vdpau.

If you have a bug in pro driver with that vdpau part, you can probably recompile fixed mesa code and just replace it

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
              Yep... UVD and VCE, encoding and decoding AFAIK.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Yep... UVD and VCE, encoding and decoding AFAIK.
                bridgman, would you consider the R9 290 as stable on amdgpu+SI and amdgpu crimson as it is on the old foss Radeon driver? If it is, at which version did it reach that state? If not, when is it expected to "fully replace" the old driver?

Comment

I think we'll need to see a bit more test coverage on 4.7 before we can say that any of them are stable right now. There has been a reported performance regression in 4.7 relative to 4.6 (on 290 radeon IIRC) and I'm not sure if that has been isolated yet. I don't really want to count "both having problems" as "equally stable"...

Looking forward, I'm hoping 4.8 will be where the two stacks both settle down on 290/390, to the point that we can start talking about changing the upstream default (that's what I count as "replacing"). If so, I expect we would want to flip the switch during the merge window for 4.9 rather than doing it later in the 4.8 cycle.
                  Test signature

Comment

that's really fantastic. finally opensource drivers can compete with the proprietary drivers.

Comment

SPEAKING of video decode. HEVC_MAIN_10 is now exposed in VDPAU. Unfortunately, I haven't be able to get any videos to work with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X