aticonfig equivalent in amdgpu-pro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aticonfig equivalent in amdgpu-pro?

Considering amdgpu-pro is supposed to be fglrx replacement, is there a similar utility like flgrx's aticonfig? Need to be able to set clocks/fans etc that aticonfig allows, but haven't seen anything in the amdgpu-pro stack that would allow this.

Apparently they intend to release the Windows one on Linux sometime (you know that new one with stages etc).

Atm I'm not sure if the driver supports clock adjustments, if it does you must do it all by CLI. Given that you don't know about CLI clock adjustments then I will assume you no clue what I'm talking about, because I only messed with it once before to control fans and can't remember a damn thing atm.

Comment

Just to keep expectations reasonable, I think the statement was more like "discussing the possibiity of" than "intending to" or "planning to"...
      Test signature

Comment

Try dmesg|grep powerplay, you should see:

Code:
        amdgpu: powerplay initialized
        But how is it actually used? Have a look at this thread: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...m-driver/page4

By the way, it would be nice to be able to manually force the frequency, like aticonfig used to allow. There is nothing between 608 and 910 MHz for the gpu clock and nothing between 300 and 2000 MHz for the memory clock. The clocks and voltage tables are setup in polaris10_hwmgr.c but after reading a good part of the source, it appears this an extremely complex subject, that could easily lead to hw destruction if incorrectly modified.
        Last edited by cde1; 02 July 2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

After more testing with my RX 480, in any case it seems powerplay ramps up only to not go over a specific temperature (80C it seems), so even forcing a lower clock is useless: it just leads to a slower ramp up to the max temperature, which is imo too high for a 24/7 HPC machine (of course this is not the intended market, but still).

The ramp slopes are setup in polaris10_thermal.c, more specifically tf_polaris10_thermal_setup_fan_table. I guess t_diff1 and t_diff2 are the values of interest. I'll try to experiment with it and let you guys know.

Comment

I added some printk but it never seems this function is actually called, so probably amdgpu.ko does not touch the default fan ramp values.

Anyway, there is a simpler method that consists of setting the fan speed manually through /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon1/pwm1 adjusting it for the temperature readings through sensors.

Comment

Yea the default fan profile is horrible on these....I just set the fans to 2k rpms and temps don't go above 65c...default it will go to 80c.

Comment

Working...
              X