No announcement yet.

OpenGL 4.1 on ATI 6470m

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you don't get info about library versions / symlinks etc... ??
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      So you don't get info about library versions / symlinks etc... ??
      Nope. Only that output and the popup window.

Comment

Well that's useless

OK, thanks !
        Test signature

Comment

Well that's useless

OK, thanks !
          Yep, but still doesn't explain why the card is labelled as OpenGL 4.1 compatible but the 64fp and 64bit extensions are missing?

Comment

Funny thing is that the wikipedia article here states the it actually is OpenGL 4.4 compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
              Yep, but still doesn't explain why the card is labelled as OpenGL 4.1 compatible but the 64fp and 64bit extensions are missing?
              Simple - the r600 Gallium3D/Mesa driver in the open source stack currently supports GL 4.1 (including those extensions) on hardware that includes native support for double precision floating point (5830/50/70/90, 6930/50/70/90). It does not yet have the ability to emulate double-precision operations on hardware which does not natively support them (54xx-57xx, 64xx-68xx) and so those extensions (and hence GL 4.0/4.1 which require them) are not yet enabled on those chips.

Apps are supposed to just check for the extensions they require (and to the best of our knowledge no app actually uses the fp64 extensions yet) but some games look for GL version rather than extensions and fail to run even though all the extensions they require are supported. In that case a GL/GLSL over-ride makes the application happy.

Something else is wrong in your case though - but without useful error reporting from the game it's hard to tell what is going on. IIRC there are "verbose" options for Mesa which may be useful.

Funny thing is that the wikipedia article here states the it actually is OpenGL 4.4 compatible.
              Yep, I think that is correct - might even be GL 4.5 - but the r600 driver currently has support for up to 4.1:

Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.
              Last edited by bridgman; 27 June 2016, 11:37 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

andre@andre-HP-EliteBook-8460p:~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Saints Row Gat out of Hell$ ./saintsrowgooh
                ERROR - eON failed to initialise!

and then the popup appears as mentioned before.
                Linux ports from Virtual Programming always creates log file "eon.txt" somewhere in ~/.local/share/*/*:
                Code:
                # ls -l ~gamer/.local/share/*/*/eon.txt
                -rw-r--r-- 1 gamer gamer  9837 Jun 28 04:03 /home/gamer/.local/share/cdprojektred/witcher2/eon.txt
                -rw-r--r-- 1 gamer gamer 45892 Jun 26 19:32 /home/gamer/.local/share/vpltd/dirt/eon.txt

Comment

Simple - the r600 Gallium3D/Mesa driver in the open source stack currently supports GL 4.1 (including those extensions) on hardware that includes native support for double precision floating point (5830/50/70/90, 6930/50/70/90). It does not yet have the ability to emulate double-precision operations on hardware which does not natively support them (54xx-57xx, 64xx-68xx) and so those extensions (and hence GL 4.0/4.1 which require them) are not yet enabled on those chips.

Apps are supposed to just check for the extensions they require (and to the best of our knowledge no app actually uses the fp64 extensions yet) but some games look for GL version rather than extensions and fail to run even though all the extensions they require are supported. In that case a GL/GLSL over-ride makes the application happy.

Something else is wrong in your case though - but without useful error reporting from the game it's hard to tell what is going on. IIRC there are "verbose" options for Mesa which may be useful.

Yep, I think that is correct - might even be GL 4.5 - but the r600 driver currently has support for up to 4.1:

https://mesamatrix.net/
                  So the reason why I only have OpenGL 3.3 on my machine is the lack of support of emulation of double-precision then because my card doesn't have hardware support?

Comment

Originally posted by puleglot View Post

Linux ports from Virtual Programming always creates log file "eon.txt" somewhere in ~/.local/share/*/*:
                    Code:
                    # ls -l ~gamer/.local/share/*/*/eon.txt
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 gamer gamer 9837 Jun 28 04:03 /home/gamer/.local/share/cdprojektred/witcher2/eon.txt
                    -rw-r--r-- 1 gamer gamer 45892 Jun 26 19:32 /home/gamer/.local/share/vpltd/dirt/eon.txt
                    I'll take look in there and see if there is something useful.

Comment

So the reason why I only have OpenGL 3.3 on my machine is the lack of support of emulation of double-precision then because my card doesn't have hardware support?
                      Correct - you need GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 for GL 4.0 and GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit for GL 4.1, and right now those only enable on 5xxx/6xxx if your GP has HW DP support. That's why over-rides are necessary in the short term (although there has been some talk about changing to code to enable 4.0/4.1 even on HW that does not have native support since no apps are known to actually use the extensions).

Another vendor enables the GL level but not the extensions, which we think is incorrect but is another potential solution.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X