X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pete910
    replied
    Originally posted by twriter View Post

You can't please everyone. fglrx installation was fraught with problems and the packaging scripts were wonderfully baroque. For AMDGPU Pro, we made a conscious decision to provide native packages and to validate native package installation. Upcoming releases will add support for other distros and we'll have native packages for them too. We'll also be releasing our packaging scripts so other distributions can use them as a reference. They use a distro agnostic core so should be straightforward to adapt to any distribution and packaging format, including tarball or direct installation into /usr/local.
    TBH I never had issues with the installer bar 1 going back to the 5870 I had. but yea, the package scripts are rather . Magiea has never been bleeding edge regards kernels etc so that helped I guess.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    debianxfce: read above. It's clearly much more to build a whole custom kernel vs. building one module with dkms. I'm not sure what you even are arguing about here.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by twriter View Post

We don't validate it right now but you should be able to use the amdgpu-pro DKMS package with the otherwise open source stack. We hope to provide DKMS packages for the open source stack in the future. As nhaehnle mentioned, some other changes are required for Polaris.
    That sounds promising, thanks! I'd prefer to use amdgpu with Mesa/radeonsi, updating them more frequently than usually rather slow distro kernel + mesa updates, so dkms would work the best for that purpose.
    Last edited by shmerl; 22 June 2016, 05:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

File systems and other essential parts of kernel do have bug fixes in every kernel release, so making a custom kernel is not overkill and you will have a faster pc especially with a non-debug kernel that improves my boot time 2 seconds compared to a stock debian kernel.
    No, it is an overkill if I want to limit changes and regressions to only one possible area that I care to update faster than the rest.

Leave a comment:

• twriter
    replied
    Originally posted by boxie View Post

Cool - Hi twriter Congrats to you and your team
    Thanks!

Out of pure curiosity - what is the breakdown of Team AMD atm? who is who and who does what (wow, that sounds like I have been reading too much Dr Seuss)
    Unfortunately, I can't talk about that. I think it's obvious from the pace and breadth of open source contributions that we have more people working on open source now than in the past.

Leave a comment:

• twriter
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Is there DKMS package for amdgpu alone? How can one install it in Debian testing on any kernel (or it's not possible)? I'd rather update it as soon as new version will come out, instead of waiting for not so frequent kernel updates.
    We don't validate it right now but you should be able to use the amdgpu-pro DKMS package with the otherwise open source stack. We hope to provide DKMS packages for the open source stack in the future. As nhaehnle mentioned, some other changes are required for Polaris.

Leave a comment:

• twriter
    replied
    Originally posted by pete910 View Post

That would be great if they actually decide to do a generic package/installer, you know , for linux and not just a .deb
    You can't please everyone. fglrx installation was fraught with problems and the packaging scripts were wonderfully baroque. For AMDGPU Pro, we made a conscious decision to provide native packages and to validate native package installation. Upcoming releases will add support for other distros and we'll have native packages for them too. We'll also be releasing our packaging scripts so other distributions can use them as a reference. They use a distro agnostic core so should be straightforward to adapt to any distribution and packaging format, including tarball or direct installation into /usr/local.

Leave a comment:

• boxie
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Thanks, but not my team any more. twriter manages the team now
    Cool - Hi twriter Congrats to you and your team

Out of pure curiosity - what is the breakdown of Team AMD atm? who is who and who does what (wow, that sounds like I have been reading too much Dr Seuss)

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post

For a regular end-user it means they have to use the amdgpu-pro driver, as regular users usually have a distro installed, which they usually don't modify with alien packages. Even the latest Fedora and Arch only have 4.5, 4.7 reaching mainstream usage is in a galaxy, far, far away. Still, it'll get there eventually, of course.
    If you run opensuse Tumbleweed chances are high that kernel 4.7 (currenlty 4.6.2) will be available officially and tested 1 or 2 weeks after its release wich will be in about 3-4 weeks. Mesa 12 should hit Tumbleweed a bit earlier than 4.7. But if you want to use rx480 on launch day you need untested beta stuff or amdgpu-pro

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Open Source Launch support. This is good work AMD. bridgman make sure to congratulate your team for us!
    Thanks, but not my team any more. twriter manages the team now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X