X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by eydee View Post
    "The Radeon RX 480 is being promoted as being competitive with $500 current generation cards like the GTX 980 and R9 390X."

And this is the point probably. If it is "only" as powerful, the 1080 will destroy it, maybe even the 1070 will. Super low price or no sales.
    Because everybody buys a 1080? I'm not sure you understand market segments, or price/performance. If it delivers the same frame rate as GTX 980, for hundreds of $dollars less, it's a tremendous value to consumers.

This is just like in the CPU world, where ignorant fanboys always say to buy intel because "it's faster, just look at how fast the i7-5960X is!". Never mind the fact that the person soliciting the advice only has a $120 budget for their CPU, and that AMD delivers more performance than intel does at that price point.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Does the RX480 support vp9 HW encoding decoding?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by veritas View Post
    Also AMD said sampling to priority customers in few weeks and to others in Q3. Should that be written as roll out in Q3?
    That comment related to Zen IIRC, not GPUs. The sampling & qual time tends to take longer on CPUs (since there are no drivers between the app and the HW that can be fixed after release) so I wouldn't interpret that sampling schedule as a Q3 rollout.

AFAIK the plan is still to start shipping end of this year and really ramp up in 2017.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03 June 2016, 10:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• veritas
    replied
    Originally posted by Szpadel View Post
    > The RX 480 is said to have 1.7x performance/Watt improvement.
    Isn't it 2.8x ?
    1.7x for FinFET 14 lithographic process + additional architecture improvements
    total 2.8x improvements
    +1.
    And of course the condition of specific workloads was also mentioned which is quite obvious.
    Also AMD said sampling to priority customers in few weeks and to others in Q3. Should that be written as roll out in Q3?

Leave a comment:

• hugo8621
    replied
    I'm honestly amazed how bridgman handles those semi-educated attacks! If everyone would behave like him I start believing in civilized forum behaviour again. Everyone should in my opinion acknowledge and very much appreciate the fact that AMD employers interact with the community in a very informal way like this, whereas nvidia is only known for silence. I personally love seeing AMD talk the talk and walk the walk and hope if we keep the same pace with making our software run efficient on OpenCL that AMD can finally be considered again for our next hpc cluster extension.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    So you are not allowed to talk about the third party IP here in the forum but you already do it in this post wen you write about third party IP?
    We are not allowed to be much more specific than I was in that post. No names

Leave a comment:

• suberimakuri
    replied
    Yes it's been great to see AMD progress. Thanks bridgeman for your work and for keeping us posted (and corrected!) on things.
    I have a 960 and seriously considering AMD next time. Linux support, wayland support, pricing, all good.

Leave a comment:

• Kimmono
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    How about a different approach - we have done all the things we previously said we would do as well as most of the things I said "no promises but we will try", maybe consider trusting us for a change ?
    Very impressed by how much you have actually delivered. Great job!

Leave a comment:

• mannerov
    replied
    +1 for open source OpenCL and Vulkan !

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    start with a official public roadmap... and make public reports about the process.
    *bridgman wonders how to publish a roadmap when most of the time-consuming steps involve removing & replacing third party IP which we are not supposed to talk about or even acknowledge that we have

How about a different approach - we have done all the things we previously said we would do as well as most of the things I said "no promises but we will try", maybe consider trusting us for a change ?

Maybe I did everything wrong. But on the other hand If you take a rhetoric lesson or lets call it Evil-Black-Eristic-rhetoric-lession you learn that making a wrong statement about "claiming to know what" other people "believe" only to force them to set this right by making a right statement is standard procedure in Evil-Black-Eristic-rhetoric-lession communication strategies.

Sure this is not the way of a gentleman.
    That's fair. So let's add gentlemanly conduct to the description of how an intelligent discussion would look

And lose all the fun on black-rhetoric-strategies ?
    Yep, 'fraid so.
    Last edited by bridgman; 01 June 2016, 07:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X