X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers

ATI to Enable High-Definition Video Playback on Linux-Based Computers

Originally posted by X-bit labs
    ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, plans to enable playback of protected high-definition content under Linux operating system (OS) sometime in October, 2008. The move will allow the company to address the market of Linux-based computers with a unique feature, which is not currently available.
    Source: X-bit labs

Comment: Catalyst 8.10 will be a fine release

the driver can't even play a hd video without tearing

Comment

And you need a playback tool not only a driver...

Comment

Originally posted by mirak63
        This thread is about the Catalyst 8.10, we don't know how the situation will be with that driver

Originally posted by Kano
        And you need a playback tool not only a driver...
        This thread is about the month October, we don't know if video players will be prepared at this time

Comment

Originally posted by mirak63 View Post
          This is because of the xorg, I hear...

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
            This is because of the xorg, I hear...
            It's not impossible but pretty hard to do afaik. xf86-video-ati has a branche witch Xv-vsync. But that only works without a compositor.

@topic: Well, I'm not realy excited. Bug-fixes and X Server 1.5 support are more wanted by me... Then again, I'm not using fglrx anymore anyway . But it would be nice to be able to switch for some gaming without having to downgrade the X Server.

Comment

Yeah, I think the problem with Alex's patch is that it blocks the X server until vsync arrives, which is kind of a Bad Thing for general purpose use (and is the reason Alex doesn't want to push the patch into the production tree).

The longer term solution seems to be setting up a mechanism to pass a buffer to DRM and have DRM blit/flip it into the front buffer on the next vblank. It's another of those "not too hard to implement but needs to be re-written once we have a memory manager so let's do it after memory management" things, AFAIK.
              Last edited by bridgman; 03 September 2008, 02:09 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                It's not impossible but pretty hard to do afaik. xf86-video-ati has a branche witch Xv-vsync. But that only works without a compositor.

@topic: Well, I'm not realy excited. Bug-fixes and X Server 1.5 support are more wanted by me... Then again, I'm not using fglrx anymore anyway . But it would be nice to be able to switch for some gaming without having to downgrade the X Server.
                this interest me, I don't care of 3D or compiz, I can live without it

Comment

Enabling playback? I am able to play HD video on my Linux machine perfectly well now. No lag/tear on my x1800 with xf86-video-ati. FGLRX also used to render it fine (unless compiz was enabled). Then wats the fuss about? something to do with vsync or something like legal issues with allowing HD playback in Linux?

Comment

will it VAAPi ? or other api ?

Comment

Working...
                    X