No announcement yet.

My experience with AMDGPU on Kubuntu 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we move these things to the bug tracker ? There are a few different issues all jumping across forum threads which makes them pretty much impossible to follow...
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Can we move these things to the bug tracker ? There are a few different issues all jumping across forum threads which makes them pretty much impossible to follow...
      Of course! I'll do that tonight after my work day. (Just so that a stupid man like me understands this correct...you mean the kernel bugtracker right? Or do you AMD guys have a special one for amdgpu?)
      Last edited by vein; 03 May 2016, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

This guy have almost similar hardware and amdgpu is working.
        hi, i'm using open source driver (AMDGPU) on my notebook after some months of catalyst. this is my notebook: CPU: A10 8700p GPU: radeon r6 carrizo + radeon r7

Your xorg.conf is totally wrong if Xserver does not start ok. I have post my xorg.conf here or other thread.

Thats the one I used...

Comment

Where should we submit bugs...I know you mentioned to me that you were looking into where bug tracking for the amdgpu hybrid drivers would be.

Comment

Originally posted by jstefanop View Post

Where should we submit bugs...I know you mentioned to me that you were looking into where bug tracking for the amdgpu hybrid drivers would be.
            Well I reported it here:

I searched for amdgpu bugs in there and found a few of them:

so I figured that it what the right place. But then I saw your post and did some more googling on it and found out that there are some bugs filed here too:

Which makes me a bit confused...so bridgman did I file it in the right place? Tell me if I should move it?

(Also my googling shows that there is a similar bug filed under Ubuntu too: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...u/+bug/1577074)

Comment

Ah, so this is "franken-hybrid"... hybrid userspace with all-open kernel. Not sure how ready we are to support issues with that yet, guessing we might ask you to wait for the next hybrid release instead.
              Test signature

Comment

Ah, so this is "franken-hybrid"... hybrid userspace with all-open kernel. Not sure how ready we are to support issues with that yet, guessing we might ask you to wait for the next hybrid release instead.

Ah, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that amdgpu does not yet support hybrid graphics...(actually didn't know I had that in my laptop since I have never used it). Then my question is; Are you talking about the release of the pro drivers that you have said in another forum thread to occur mid-yearish? Just so that I know when to try again.

Also, another question that comes to mid is: Is there any plan about supporting dual-graphics mode in oss or pro drivers in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
                  Ah, so if I understand you correctly, you are saying that amdgpu does not yet support hybrid graphics...(actually didn't know I had that in my laptop since I have never used it). Then my question is; Are you talking about the release of the pro drivers that you have said in another forum thread to occur mid-yearish? Just so that I know when to try again.
                  When I say "hybrid" I'm talking about stacks like the one we released a month or so ago as a Vulkan preview, which ship with a combination of open and closed drivers. There are two amdgpu stacks we support today:

- all-open, where kernel and userspace drivers are a set picked up by distro packagers from upstream

- hybrid (sometimes called "pro" but being used for more than WS so might change the name) where kernel and userspace drivers are a set provided in packages

When I say "franken-hybrid" I'm talking about what I understand you are doing, which is combining pieces from the hybrid stack with pieces from the upstream all-open stack, which isn't expected to work all the time at this point.

Originally posted by vein View Post
                  Also, another question that comes to mid is: Is there any plan about supporting dual-graphics mode in oss or pro drivers in the future?
                  No plans that I know of... I think if anything the focus will be moving to Vulkan where multiple GPUs are exposed directly to the game developers. It's getting harder and harder for modern games to work with driver-level multi GPU since so many of the effects involve using previous frame (can't work with AFR), post-processing (can't work with SLI), or both (can't work with either).
                  Test signature

Comment

Bah, my long post disappeared again.

vein, I wasn't talking about hybrid graphics but hybrid driver where we provide a combination of open and closed driver components (hence "hybrid"). Sometimes called "pro" driver but since we're using it for consumer parts as well we probably need a new name (the "Pro" name made sense when we were planning two hybrid drivers, pro and non-pro).

If I understand correctly you are using a combination of kernel driver from all-open and userspace bits from hybrid/pro, which we aren't claiming will work at this point.
                    Test signature

Comment

The PRO kernel driver has one ioctl that the open driver doesn't. (it's no secret, it just hasn't been upstreamed yet)

Comment

Working...
                      X