No announcement yet.

Tonga AMDGPU Performance On Ubuntu 16.04 Has 80~90%+ Performance Of Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These are indeed very good news. Really looking forward to put fglrx to the rest and welcome new AMDGPU overlords. In combination with OGL 4.3 - 4.4 arrival later this year AMD couldn't be better positioned as champion of open source for graphics cards

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

You're not encrypting your system, are you?
      If you are, can you explain how you managed such a fast boot?
      Using Fedora 23 with haswell ultrabook and Samsung evo 850.
      Well I can confirm this, however I'm not using encryption...

$ systemd-analyze
      Startup finished in 3.466s (kernel) + 563ms (userspace) = 4.029s

$ uname -a
      Linux 4.4.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Mar 10 07:38:19 CET 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

ArchLinux, 8GB RAM, SSD, Radeon HD7850 (radeonsi)
      Last edited by scorp; 17 March 2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brandonp View Post
        I only wish my Radeon HD 7950s support AMDGPU.
        it will

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

You're not encrypting your system, are you?
          If you are, can you explain how you managed such a fast boot?
          Using Fedora 23 with haswell ultrabook and Samsung evo 850.

Archlinux
          AMD FX 6100
          transcend 256gb SSD
          /etc/default/grub
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="irqpoll threadirq quiet"
          mkinitcpio updated to latest systemd 229
          gnome-3.20

Startup finished in 2.802s (kernel) + 717ms (userspace) = 3.520s

Note i a bit high since i have nginx - php-fpm - postgresql starting on boot for some project, regularly is around 2.7s

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            it will
            Hmm, do you know if there's an article confirming this? I must have missed it. I always thought that it was just a possibility.

Comment

Hmm, do you know if there's an article confirming this? I must have missed it. I always thought that it was just a possibility.
              everything not happened yet is just a possibility.
              it was mentioned on this forum. but you don't need confirmation, driver is open, everyone can port all gcn chips to amdgpu

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                everything not happened yet is just a possibility.
                it was mentioned on this forum. but you don't need confirmation, driver is open, everyone can port all gcn chips to amdgpu
                That's right, radeon devs can migrate support for older chips into amdgpu over time if they so choose. Question is though, is it worth it?

I don't think so. Radeon for legacy, AMDGPU for new is actually a pretty good scheme. Right now it might not sound very nice to people who have an older gpu, but keeping amdgpu smaller by not supporting legacy cards might be for the best (since kernels can in the not so distant future be stripped of radeon to decrease size)

We'll see. I kinda doubt older chips will get ported to amdgpu though (I mean it already would have probably if anyone intended to)

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

I don't know any data indicating that Polaris would get open-source Linux support at launch day.

There are two conditions for open-source Polaris support:
                  • Polaris support in AMDGPU (Linux kernel)
                  • Polaris support in Mesa

(bridgman) Maybe AMD plans to initially support Polaris just in Catalyst/Crimson.
                  No inside information here, but I wouldn't be surprised by day 1 patches providing support. Probably not actual upstream support committed ahead of time, though.

From what I can tell, the catalyst devs are now providing kernel support, and that's likely going to be ready at launch at least internally. Hopefully they release the patches. On the Mesa side, I don't think there will be many changes necessary. I think the architecture is very similar to what's already out, just run through a process shrink. New stuff will likely be optional, like DCC support added too GCN 1.2 drivers after the initial support was already working.

Comment

bridgman has posted in these forums that it is going to happen, but it will definitely not be part of the initial hybrid driver/vulkan release. My guess is it will happen sometime during the fall, but i'm sure it will depend on what seems to be most urgent once the initial drivers come out in a few months.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                      That's right, radeon devs can migrate support for older chips into amdgpu over time if they so choose. Question is though, is it worth it?
                      Vulkan support is worth it for GCN1.0+. Older cards won't be migrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X