AMD Radeon Software Crimson 15.12 For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Don't buy AMD hardware this year, not even on Windows those chips are future proof.
    Thing is that nothing is so future proof, next year is for that year so lets don't buy anything this year HDMI 2.0 is already obsolete as from april HDMI 2.0a is current specs AMD will go with 2.0a and DP 1.3 in 2016, so seems like next year will be about HDR and monitors with very high Hzs

http://wccftech.com/amd-talks-freesy...1-3-hdmi-2-0a/
    Last edited by dungeon; 22 December 2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

You are absolutely right, HDR means in that case 10 (or 12) bit color. Guess why i want to be able to decode HEVC Main 10? It is no huge change to HDMI 2.0, most likely Nvidia already supports it. Some UHD samsung tvs got support for HDMI 2.0a with a firmware update. It was basically needed because before HDR was vendor specific - could only be used with the included video player for Amazon Prime Video. It is just useless if you can not decode the content in realtime

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That's just a matter of opinion. You are free to it of course. But nobody wants the desktop itself to be so slow and buggy that it's effectively unusable. The desktop experience is way better with the OSS drivers.
        What on Earth are you talking about? I use the Nvidia blob every day at work and guess what? I get the job done. And that's using the (still) quirky KDE5 with a dual monitor setup.
        The OSS drivers may be better for AMD (cause Catalyst pretty much sucks) and for intel (cause there's no blob), but certainly not for nvidia. A little fact checking never hurt anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

What on Earth are you talking about? I use the Nvidia blob every day at work and guess what? I get the job done. And that's using the (still) quirky KDE5 with a dual monitor setup.
          The OSS drivers may be better for AMD (cause Catalyst pretty much sucks) and for intel (cause there's no blob), but certainly not for nvidia. A little fact checking never hurt anyone.
          So what? You use the nvidia blob everyday, but does that make you so blind you can't see this is a thread about the amd blob?

Comment

Bridgman talks about open mostly, duby229 compare it with legacy blob, bug77 talks about some other blob - everybody talks about what they want but this thread is about Catalyst and not only any one, but legacy driver model

Well must point out some slide again, this thread is about driver on the far right

Maybe we can continue about how and why that on the left center is for Proffesional / Gamer, but also why that one on the far left isn't
            Last edited by dungeon; 23 December 2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

So what? You use the nvidia blob everyday, but does that make you so blind you can't see this is a thread about the amd blob?
              You were saying using a blob makes the desktop "slow and buggy that it's effectively unusable". You didn't say "AMD blob". I called bull on that one.

Comment

great with 15.12, radeon 5870m is "officially" supported : "aticonfig" work out of the box : without requiring to play with the "control" file like in 15.11

Comment

Originally posted by adrenochrome View Post
                  great with 15.12, radeon 5870m is "officially" supported : "aticonfig" work out of the box : without requiring to play with the "control" file like in 15.11
                  bridgman So my HD5850 will be still "supported"? Can I install and use future drivers AMD Radeon Cimsons or not?

Comment

My understanding was that the current Radeon Crimson release (ie the one that just came out) did include support for pre-GCN parts, however future releases would not.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      My understanding was that the current Radeon Crimson release (ie the one that just came out) did include support for pre-GCN parts, however future releases would not.
                      I tried the other day and it did have pre-GCN support but the beta that was released before didn't.
                      To bad there wasn't support for xorg-server-1.18.0 so it only supports older distributions.

Comment

Working...
                      X