No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition Is A Letdown On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think performance comparison from slides was something like fglrx 15.20 vs 15.30, so we already get 15.30 branch Improvements in form of Catalyst 15.9.

Originally posted by verde View Post
    Now 6000 Radeon Series are Legacy when Nvidia still supports GeForce 8 Series!!!
    So nVidia going to fix KWin crashes on 8600M GS and VDPAU issues after wakeup in legacy 340 branch? I don't think so
    What the point of supporting newer kernel and xorg if legacy driver itself is buggy anyway?

At the same time free radeon driver for 6xxx Radeons by AMD doesn't have such issues. So what did you said about support?

Originally posted by verde View Post
    Personally I've never faced any bug with my Nvidia GPUs even in Windows 10
    nVidia's drivers for Win10 was disaster at launch. I don't know how you miss that:

106 pages of anger, tears and blood And that just about 353.62. Feel free to search and read feedback about following releases - it's getting better, but not much.

Comment

Don't forget this ongoing issue either, Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels.
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
      Ben Franklin 1755

Comment

Originally posted by clockley1 View Post
        I need OpenGL 4 for Steam, and the open source driver will never support GL4 on 6670... AMD has made a new Nvidia customer.
        Um, so why can I play OpenGL4 games like Civ Beyond Earth on my Radeon 5570 using Mesa 11 and a recent kernel? Right! Because all the extensions needed are supported. Just give it a try, it might already work today

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          I think performance comparison from slides was something like fglrx 15.20 vs 15.30, so we already get 15.30 branch Improvements in form of Catalyst 15.9.

So nVidia going to fix KWin crashes on 8600M GS and VDPAU issues after wakeup in legacy 340 branch? I don't think so
          What the point of supporting newer kernel and xorg if legacy driver itself is buggy anyway?
          Don't forget the issues of 340.xx in GTK+ apps like gedit. I wouldn't call those legacy cards exactly well supported. NVidia only really supports their latest architecture. AMD trimmed the support using the proprietary driver to the latest architecture now, too, but supports the older stuff using the really great OSS driver. From my point of view, the support situation is better for AMD users.

Comment

AMD won't EVER go bankrupt.
            Neither Intel nor NVIDIA will allow it.

Comment

Not great news on pcper's podcast with AMD. The twitch chat users were keen to hear about AMD's Linux plans but there was really nothing forthcoming.

AMD probably feels that the PC gaming community badgers them a disproportionate amount regarding Linux drivers LOL, considering the actual market share. But it's probably because a fair amount of people in that community do or have tried at some point dual booting with some Linux distro and would like the ecosystem to improve.

Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
              Don't forget this ongoing issue either, Windows 10 + GeForce Drivers are Killing Samsung and LG Notebook LCD Display Panels.
              https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...isplay-panels/
              Ya it seems like in the windows 10 world on average AMD users have fewer issues than Nvidia.
              Last edited by humbug; 25 November 2015, 04:58 AM.

Comment

IDK, i just uninstalled catalyst drivers because firefox was so freaking laggy it was unusable on on card. Now with open source drivers is bliss.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
                  AMD probably feels that the PC gaming community badgers them a disproportionate amount regarding Linux drivers LOL, considering the actual market share.
                  AMD execs need to understand the Linux market share won't grow up if they don't invest enough to make their driver on part with Windows.
                  Why they should care about the Linux market ? Because it's a growth driver for their own market share (which is not very high globally, by the way).

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                    IDK, i just uninstalled catalyst drivers because firefox was so freaking laggy it was unusable on on card. Now with open source drivers is bliss.
                    I used to have that issue with catalyst and firefox until about a year ago. Interestingly it was perfectly responsive when using chromium or any other browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Actually, AMD's future never looked any brighter:

Vulkan:
                      will lead to AMD winning over NVIDIA, thanks to async compute support & better double precision performance (at least when comparing GCN vs. MAXWELL) [plus with the consoles using GCN, optimizations in engines for it]

ZEN:
                      AMD becomes competitive against Intel again, especially in the high-margin server field!

HSA:
                      Once APUs get HBM, things will get really interesting...
                      And AMD GPU looks very promising. All open source, and AMD focusing on new features. It looks like the best way to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X