Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radeonhd, compiz, and xvideo

hi,

i'm successfully using compiz with radeonhd. the 3d acceleration is comparable to that of the other radeon driver. but when i try to play videos using 'xv' (textured video) i get nothing but a black window with sound. when i resize the window i can see the video for a split second then it goes back to black. using -vo x11 with compiz works fine. -vo xv works fine but only when compiz is not running. i don't have this problem when using the other radeon driver, even when compiz is running. any ideas?

all of my x libs/server are from GIT and less than 2 weeks old. i'm using the master version of radeonhd that i built today.

thanks.
    Last edited by surfer; 09 August 2008, 06:32 PM.

Are you sure you are actually using textured video ? The Xv driver exposes one overlay port and 16 textured video ports, and most player apps use the overlay port by default.

If you run xvinfo you should see the port numbers, then you can tell most player apps to use the appropriate Xv port #.
    Test signature

Comment

I forgot to mention the card is a R500. there's only one video adapter. it appears to be a problem with the xvideo portion of the driver not interacting with compiz correctly, because it works fine when compiz is not running.

Code:
      $ xvinfo
      X-Video Extension version 2.2
      screen #0
        Adaptor #0: "Radeon Textured Video"
          number of ports: 16
          port base: 91
          operations supported: PutImage 
          supported visuals:
            depth 24, visualID 0x21
          no port attributes defined
          maximum XvImage size: 4096 x 4096
          Number of image formats: 4
            id: 0x32595559 (YUY2)
              guid: 59555932-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 16
              number of planes: 1
              type: YUV (packed)
            id: 0x32315659 (YV12)
              guid: 59563132-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 12
              number of planes: 3
              type: YUV (planar)
            id: 0x30323449 (I420)
              guid: 49343230-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 12
              number of planes: 3
              type: YUV (planar)
            id: 0x59565955 (UYVY)
              guid: 55595659-0000-0010-8000-00aa00389b71
              bits per pixel: 16
              number of planes: 1
              type: YUV (packed)
      xorg.conf:

Code:
      Option "DRI"
      Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
      Last edited by surfer; 09 August 2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Other than making sure you are running EXA rather than XAA (shouldn't be the issue but worth a try) I can't think of much else to try -- have to wait for agd5f or someone else who knows the tex vid code.

I'm sure working without compiz but not working with compiz is a good clue but unfortunately not to me
        Test signature

Comment

Not sure about radeonhd, but with radeon I have to explicitly enable EXA; XAA is the default.

Try:

Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"

In the "Device" section.

Comment

Originally posted by surfer View Post
            hi,

i'm successfully using compiz with radeonhd. the 3d acceleration is comparable to that of the other radeon driver. but when i try to play videos using 'xv' (textured video) i get nothing but a black window with sound. when i resize the window i can see the video for a split second then it goes back to black. using -vo x11 with compiz works fine. -vo xv works fine but only when compiz is not running. i don't have this problem when using the other radeon driver, even when compiz is running. any ideas?

all of my x libs/server are from GIT and less than 2 weeks old. i'm using the master version of radeonhd that i built today.

thanks.
            Does radeonhd support XV yet?

Anyway, xv is known to break under compiz. Search for "Flickering video compiz-fusion" in google and you'll find out.

Comment

I'll search for what you suggest, but how do you explain that it works with the radeon driver but not radeonhd? i mean, most of the acceleration code is the same. obviously, there is a difference somewhere that is causing this bug.

BTW, based on my search it seems like the problem u are referring to was fixed toward the end of last year.
              Last edited by surfer; 12 August 2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I had the same problem with fglrx driver, and it still hasn't been fixed yet... at least on my machine
                I am just wondering that since radeonhd and radeon share the same code for 3D accel and Xv, why would they behave differently in your case...

Comment

Working...
                X