AMD Has A Vulkan Linux Driver, But Will Be Closed-Source At First

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
    Its like 12 years I hear AMD saying bullshit, they never get the damn thing finished. They are uncapable of putting on the market a finished product from A to Z. They keep promising Open Source drivers, but the truth is that by the time they get a 95% finished driver for your card the card is already old. So then you go and by a new card but the driver is unfinished, so they'll tell you the driver is under work.

It's like a circle, they never get you the product 100% working in no way, however you put it.
    Before AMD announced the new driver architecture, it was totally clear that the FOSS driver is basically the legacy driver: Even AMD's FOSS developers were only allowed to start to work on the drivers around the time the new hardware enters the market. That's obviously too short for fully working day-1 drivers. OTOH the FOSS drivers still see good improvements after years, i.e. when NVidia's hardware is only supported by the barely maintained legacy driver.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Expectations, Pronunciation, and Arrogance. If that's not trying to convince people they need to stutter. It might just be better to call very distro GNU GNU/GNU.

EDIT: For reference here is actual proper pronunciation.
      http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/p...on/english/gnu
      You are wrong on both, proper pronunciation is how Gnu an animal say something.

Simply imagine you are a cow and than try to say something - that is it In case somebody trying to giving you non free software, your answer should always be just like cow says - GNU

There are no words for it or about that - just GNU
      Last edited by dungeon; 18 September 2015, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Wow, they'll open source for both Vulkan and OpenCL?! With both AMD and Intel having good and opensource OpenCL support alot of Linux devs could use it more maybe even Linux kernel devs creating an option for some operations to run on GPU or even CPU+GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

You are wrong on both, proper pronunciation is how Gnu an animal say something.

Simply imagine you are a cow and than try to say something - that is it In case somebody trying to giving you non free software, your answer should always be just like cow says - GNU

There are no words for it or about that - just GNU
          If you want to pronounce it like a word, then pronounce like the actual word, otherwise it's an acronym and are just letters. Either nyoo or gee en yoo. That's it, no other valid option. Every other suggestion is just stupid nonsense. If Stallman wants to stutter he can do it all by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

If you want to pronounce it like a word, then pronounce like the actual word, otherwise it's an acronym and are just letters. Either nyoo or gee en yoo. That's it, no other valid option. Every other suggestion is just stupid nonsense. If Stallman wants to stutter he can do it all by himself.
            Either way you knows it now, if you trying to feed a man with the non free software he became an animal. Not very wild if not much feeded, but an animal.

Same is what Stallman do, mention him non free software and he became cow... otherwise he is fine

What is worth to mention is that Linus is like Stallman too. He can be a man, but he can be cow too

And YOU ARE like both of those, if you want to stop to be an animal

Now, when you are not animal anymore i can show you DebConf 15 picture (it is huge to link here):

Where among many others you can recognise FSF representative and Valve representative on the same event
            Last edited by dungeon; 18 September 2015, 02:01 AM.

Comment

It's spelled Qt! Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Good news--now, I just have to wait and see when support for my r9-270x will come... 😁

Comment

Nvidia will allow Vulkan code in OpenGL to ease adoption. AMD must support such as well to not lag behind again.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  Is there a video of this presentation, if so could someone link it?
                  Talk from Alex and Jammy

An update on the current status of amdgpu and our plans going forward.Slides: http://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2015/Program/deucher_zhou_amdgpu.pdf

slides:

Freedom Vulkan driver. I always believed it would happen. Nevertheless it is awesome to see it being mentioned. And reading about more transitions from blob to freedom.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

My next GPU will be AMD for sure. Looking forward to Arctic Islands.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

That is what every sane distro should include as wallpaper... OK, optional one
                      Its a shame we missed the last ubuntu wallpaper contest, this would defenitly get a lot of upvotes ^^

Ontopic: I hope this news actually leads to a significant improvement in AMD Linux drivers. Have been hearing BIG announcements on AMD drivers since 2006 when I bought a 690G chipset board.... :S
                      Last edited by tmpdir; 18 September 2015, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X