No announcement yet.

Radeon Gallium3D Tackles A Bit More, OpenGL 4.1 Patches Pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hopefully someone will at least revert performance of radeonsi after all this extensions added and 4.1 enabled... driver feels like somebody bulding fancy gnome theme with imposibile amount of trapezoids for driver to swallow
    Last edited by dungeon; 29 July 2015, 12:41 AM.

Comment

looking at a bit of the patch

- - Enhanced per-sample shading DONE (r600, radeonsi)
      - - Interpolation functions DONE (r600, radeonsi)
      + - Enhanced per-sample shading DONE (r600)
      + - Interpolation functions DONE (r600) [/CODE]

i hope it's just a mistake.
      Last edited by yoshi314; 29 July 2015, 01:59 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
        looking at a bit of the patch

- - Enhanced per-sample shading DONE (r600, radeonsi)
        - - Interpolation functions DONE (r600, radeonsi)
        + - Enhanced per-sample shading DONE (r600)
        + - Interpolation functions DONE (r600) [/CODE]

i hope it's just a mistake.
        It's because ARB_gs5 is fully done and marked with "radeonsi", there's no need to keep the individual bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Creak View Post
          Interesting notes about radeonsi:
          • it just overtook r600 and is now 4th in the leaderboard
          • it's full featured for OpenGL 4.1 (but not 4.0 yet)
          • just 5 more extensions and it surpasses both i965 and nvc0!

The patches for the rest of 4.0 are already on the mailing list and will be committed by the end of the week. (Probably tomorrow)

Once that's in, I believe ARB_texture_view from 4.3 is the only thing it will be behind nvc0 on.

I'm guessing 4.2 support won't be present for any drivers in the next Mesa release. We'll probably need to wait another 3 months to see it.

Comment

Nice work.

@AMD devs: Are there any plans to integrate a Catalyst like shader cache for the mesa drivers?

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
              Nice work.

@AMD devs: Are there any plans to integrate a Catalyst like shader cache for the mesa drivers?
              Some Intel people have been working on it off and on (mostly off).

Expect it to happen eventually, but it's low priority.

Comment

Why there is no amdgpu driver in mesamatrix?
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                  Ok, fair enough :-) Everybody scratch their own itch. However I would guess there would be some really substantial contribution to Nouveau since it can reach 4.1 compliance ahead of both AMD and Intel, that have several full time employees working on the same problem.
                  Well, I can't speak for the AMD/Intel teams directly, but as with any job situation, there are priorities. And I doubt GL 4 is particularly high on that list, since... who cares. (Clearly lots of people here do, but out in the real world, almost nothing actually uses or requires any of it.) Intel has been focused on ES3.1 (perhaps there will be an effort to reduce the number of different drivers they produce?), AMD has been focused on bringup of their new VI hardware and the whole amdgpu situation.

Only now are you starting to see games that require GL 4.x, and, surprise-surprise, they don't actually make use of tess or other lots of other. They could just as well have required GL 3.1 or 3.2 + a bunch of extensions. But it's easier to just request a higher version and be done with it.

The only moderately useful thing that nouveau has been ahead of radeonsi on was ARB_gs5, and maybe ARB_texture_view, although that's a 1-line impl for radeon, Marek's just been wanting more piglit test coverage before pushing it out. And of course note that there's a lot of shared infrastructure, so it's not like we're working against or in competition with each other... there's a ton of collaboration.

If Nouveau does not use llvm, how is the shader compiler made then?
                  It has its own compiler... like r600/sb, i965, freedreno (sorta), and vc4 all do. It's actually radeonsi which is the odd man out, so to speak.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post
                    It has its own compiler... like r600/sb, i965, freedreno (sorta), and vc4 all do. It's actually radeonsi which is the odd man out, so to speak.
                    Would this explain the overhead the driver is facing compared to catalyst?

Maybe some tests would be good: comparing CPU load under different drivers. Or is it already known..?

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Only now are you starting to see games that require GL 4.x, and, surprise-surprise, they don't actually make use of tess or other lots of other. They could just as well have required GL 3.1 or 3.2 + a bunch of extensions. But it's easier to just request a higher version and be done with it.
                      At least dolphin seems to care from what I gather here:
                      https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09...all-fameshame/

and a faster dolphin seems like a great deal to me, but alas that's further than 4.2.. :/

Based on your reply though, is it feasible to use an extension from a higher OpenGL that the one advertised by Mesa? (because in this case the extension is already there for radeonsi).

Comment

Working...
                      X